1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

General Mounting Questions

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mayhem, Sep 14, 2006.

1. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I just bought a new style 2000 Silverado 3/4 ton (non-HD) and want to put a plow on it. I've been calling around locally and have most likely been getting the runaround from the dealers who all want me to buy a brand new plow and have them put it on. Prices start at over $4k for a 7.5' basic plow and go north very rapidly. What I'm looking for is a 7.5 or 8' plow that I can hook up to my truck and I ahve some Fisher-specific questions, I will be doing my driveway only. About 350' long, gentle grade, generally under 90" annual snowfall. A major storm for us is a foot, 18" is less than once per year.

- How can I tell if my truck has the plow prep? Am I looking for a big alternator and tranny cooler? It has a the tranny temp gauge, but no roof lights so maybe I don't have it and I jsut have the tow package. Without the big alternator does this limit me in some way to what I should be looking at?
    - How difficult is it to mount a plow and do the wiring. I'm a competent weekend mechanic. I have no issues doing brake jobs, swapping out a driveshaft/U-joint or installing a subwoofer. I'm assuming that if I get the right push plates its a bolt on job and I just need to do the wiring.
    - Are the current plows still run by an engine-mounted hydraulic pump or are they all electric pumps on the frame now?
    - I want a Minute Mount, probably not possible to get an older style to fit anyway.
    - 2 wire or 3 wire, will either fit my truck or do I need to adapt an older harness?
    - Will a fishstick fit any MM1 or MM2 application or does it require a specific harness? I would prefer to not screw a joystick into my nice new dashboard.

I'm on a budget of about $2500 or so...I could scrape up another couple hundred if I really needed to. I keep seeing complete plowsets for under $2000 which is very encouraging, but they're always for a different year/model GM truck.

Can I take a plow off a 1/2 ton and use the push plates and wiring or is the frame different? If I find someone selling a complete 7.5' rig off a newer style (like mine) 1/2 ton truck can I use everything and just buy push plates for $300? Dealer said it would cost me about $1500, which seems excessive but I assume most of that is labor.

Sorry for the lengthy post and I appreciate your taking the time to offer advice. I prefer to understand everything I can about a topic or major product before making a big $ purchase.

My goal is to be able to know what I'm looking at when I see it and to be able to make a reasoanbly quick decision based on the knowledge that I either have a direct fit item or that I can definitely get the parts I need from EBay or a dealer.

Thanks very much.
  2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I sent you a PM