1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

general liabilty insurance

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hinikersnowplow, Jan 19, 2015.

1. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

i got a question ??? what is the reason why you should have general liabilty insurance ?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Like auto,you need to protect your business and yourself if something happens.

3. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

give me some details thanks

4. grandview

You run someone over while plowing ,covered under auto. Someone falls and sues you insurance will hopefully fight for you so you don't lose everything.

5. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

i see what you are saying let take this for an example . so if someone was to walk onto a parking lot i plowed . And if he /she fall is , it the property owners responabilty to cover it as they carry the insurance too or are they gonna pass it onto me even though i just plow the parking lot for the owner

6. grandview

First rule of lawsuits, sue everyone and let the lawyers and court figure it out. you both could be at fault,then they would figure out the percentages for damages.

7. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Not just for slip and falls - but property damage also. Take out one of those fancy transformers and see what the price tag is....

8. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

do you think 877.00 a yr is a bad price for a yr with g/l and commercail insurance ?

9. grandview

All depends on coverage and dollar limits and you need to make sure it covers snowplowing

10. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

based on the quote i got . there is 1 million 2million for g/l and on truck there is also a 1 million and covers snowplowing

11. alpine779

alpine779 Member

Up here most of our commercial acct's require 5 mill liability. Your in the 4kish range plus or minus a tad for that.

12. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

Insurance quoted me for g /l and commercial for 877.00 a yr in indiana

13. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

2 million most contracts around here..
    If its a zero tolerance property and there is a slip and fall you held liable..
    Property contract reads 2" trigger or salt on call, your not liable, make sure that clause is in the contract.

14. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I pay just under 700.00 here in Illinois for the same coverage.

15. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

man you guys insurance cheap compared to whats going on in NJ.

16. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Why did you get a quote for it if you dont even know why you need it or what it covers?
    Mine is about the same for a million dollar policy. I dont have any commercials but its Better to be over insured than under

17. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

For those coverages I'd be happy to pay double, triple,quadruple that...I don't know how many trucks you have but as a reference my 2 MIL just on the vehicles is 4200.00

18. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Same state NEMO Im at 6200 for the year for 2mill I do more then just snow

19. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I know NJ, and the East Coast in general is a lot more than here. I feel for you guys. They make it virtually impossible to make a living. My price was just for one truck though. But I can also add four additional classes to that policy for a smaller additional fee. I have my general contracting policy on there as well for an added 250.00,

20. tyelow

tyelow Junior Member

What companies will quote for snow removal only, most need it to be landscaping and snow removal, I am having a hard time finding one that will do just snow removal that is reliable. The company I had a policy with just called to tell me that they are refunding me because they don't cover snow removal, even though I was originally able to purchase a policy.