1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

General Liability Insurance

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by jjklongisland, Oct 14, 2008.

1. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

I was wondering if you guys can help me out. I have been plowing for a bunch of seasons now for a landscaper as a sub and now he wants me to get general liability insurance. I only plow on average 12 hours per storm and lately we havent had much snow (3 events last season). Does anybody know what this will cost me and if its worth it. He says its cheap but I havent called around yet. I was wondering if guys know what it might cost in NY.

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

depends on a lot of factors. my 1 and 3 million coverage runs about $700 if i can remember

3. BHISNOWMAN

BHISNOWMAN Member

About $598. A year., add the snowplowing for residential only. Another $150. For $1,000,000.00/$2,000,000.00 coverage. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ additional for commercial snow liability.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Cheap is relative, I guess. Mine is $850 for $1,000,000.

5. jjklongisland

Thanks for the prices. I only plow commercial and if we get another winter with only 4 events its gonna really hurt me gettting the additional coverage. If someone hits me while driving with a plow on my truck, my standard policy should cover me. But if I am in the act of plowing in a commercial property and get hit I am screwed, correct???

6. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Just called to get a quote from progressive today, I don't know how much I am going to sleep tonight! I am anticipating a HEALTHY premium!

7. 06HD BOSS

yeah, good luck with them. they quoted me $2990! :eek: lol

8. erkoehler

Who'd you end up with?

9. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

i would tell him that if he wants me to have more insurance, than he better pay for it! if he needs drivers he will, otherwise he will just drop the subject.

10. 06HD BOSS

Selective.

11. erkoehler

Sent you a PM

12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

try allied/nationwide they have been good to us

13. erkoehler

I will call them tomorrow AM.

Question:

If I add commercial auto including snow plowing, do I need a general liability as well? I do not need any coverage in the summer.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  14. EPPSLLC

EPPSLLC Senior Member

this is kinda a scam way but pay month by month and then cancel after season is over

15. erkoehler

And then the following year it is even harder to get coverage!

16. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

In Illinois you must have general liability, period. You then need a policy that is for general contracting/service with a note that you snow plow. This policy will run $400 plus. You may think about going to a single company - take out an auto policy, an umbrella policy and then a contractors policy. This usually saves money. I'm with StateFarm since ... forever.

17. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

yeah they want a bigger up front deposit to start it. :rolleyes:

18. Mick

from Maine

19. jjklongisland

Why is that, my truck is a Sno Commander model that came with a plow. As an option from the dealer it should be covered. I will check though.

20. Mick

from Maine

The dealer has nothing to do with insurance.