1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

General Liability Insurance in New York

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Snowplow newbie, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Snowplow newbie

Snowplow newbie Junior Member

Hello all,

I have been reading as many threads as I can to find out about insurance requirements. I am plowing commercial lots and need to have the correct insurance. My problem is I live in a small town in Upstate NY. I can't find General Liability insurance anywhere.
    The place where I get my insurance quoted me 15,000 a year for 500,000 of coverage. I then had one place quote me 2100 dollars a year just for commercial auto insurance and they told me that they can't get GLI anymore for snowplowing.
    I guess what I am looking for are some suggestions. PM me or post it here because I am at my wits end. There are no large cities around me for over 2hrs so I don't know what to do.
  2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Depending on your exposure, you should only be paying about $1500.00 for a $1,000,000 policy.

Try this woman. She is in Ohio and should be able to write in New York. prishforth@aoc-insurance.com Her name is Particia. Please tell her that Christopher Kinkade referred you to her. You can go to their web site also at www.aoc-insurance.com They specialize in amusement insurance but also write snow plow GL insurance.

Oops:eek: They are not licensed in New York or anywhere east for that matter. Get ahold of her anyway. She may be able to point you in the right direction.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2004
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

4. awayne

awayne Junior Member

I have been told by State Farm to add additional coverage to my insurance and make it a L1 type of policy which I understand stands for "using vehicle for commercial use" would only cost $10.00 more per month... Would this be good enough for plowing?

2000 F-350 Extended Cab Diesel
  5. Mick

from Maine

awayne, that MIGHT cover your Commercial Vehicle Insurance, but will NOT provide coverage of General Liability.
  6. Brother1

Brother1 Member

Hey Newbie - try Farm Family Insurance Co. We've been with them since business started and they are real good with landscapers and contractors. I don't know if they have a website but if you look thru the web or in your local yellow pages you might find a representative near you. If not let me know where you are in NY. My agent is a good friend of mine and I have to call him Monday and I can ask him if there are any reps up near you or he might be able to help you out. They handle all our insurance needs for landscaping and snow plowing. Email me at brotherslawn@verizon.net if you want - Joe
  7. Chaser13114

Chaser13114 Senior Member

I too use Farm Family. I am in upstate NY. The only catch is I had to join Farm Bureau. Dues are less than $100 a year but I save that many times over with the insurance. One of my guys backed into a car plowing a few weeks ago. No hassle at all. they totaled out the other car and sent a check. I pay $2000 a year for my CGL with them but that covers employees also. My agent is in Central Square NY
  8. ramblinman522

ramblinman522 Junior Member
    from ny

My insurance agent saved me a ton of money. I just have one Ford F250 with a plow. By ton of money I mean they saved me $800 on the commercial auto and $600 on the general liability. WJ Farmer Insurance 1-800-409-9390 X4
    My auto premium, for a 2006 Ford F250, $1,000,000 coverage was $800 and the GL coverage, $1,000,000, that includes plowing is $1,400.
  9. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

hint, when you get GLI, say you mow lawns in the summer too.
  10. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Yea, good suggestion. And then when he gets his insurance audit he can just say it was a bad year and he didnt have any customers cause you dont have to claim cash, right? I cant believe that people are going around getting contracts without insurance.
  11. Mick

from Maine

I've been doing that for nine years. Never been audited. There is no requirement that I make any money at it or even advertise or even have ANY customers.
  12. shovelracer

Then how do they determine what rate you pay on your GLI. Are you telling me that you get a better deal on plow insurance by calling yourself a lawn jockey and dont pay lawn service coverage as well, and on top of that you dont get an insurance audit every year? Doesnt sound right to me.
  13. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

Progressive insurance is advertising PLOWING insurance on there web sight if that helps.
  14. Mick

from Maine

1/2 yr at snowplowing the snowplowing rate and 1/2 yr at the lawn care rate. Lawn care rate is much lower. There is no requirement to state % of income from each and there is no audit. You can be in any business you want; nothing says you have to have any level of success or anything else.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

thats what i did .started a lawncar co.made getting insurance easier and cheaper. i dont even cut my own grass.

16. shovelracer

So then your insurance company charges the same for someone that mows 10 lawns (or 0) as they do someone that mows 500?
  17. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

I use Progressive, its a little expensive but they cover commercial plowing...
  18. Mick

from Maine

Right. The same for plowing - whether you have 100 accounts or one. The categories affecting the rates are residential, commercial and municipal. Even then, I have a letter from the UNDERWRITER stating that my Residential policy will cover commercial as long as the NUMBER of commercial accounts is few than the NUMBER of residential accounts. So, I could have a WalMart account as long as I also have two driveways.
  19. BGehl

BGehl Member

Sent you a PM
  20. topdj

topdj Senior Member

wow its tuff to afford GL in NY

you ever see the insurance bills that roofing company's pay much higher :)
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008