1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

General Liability In MA

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by npupko, Nov 14, 2013.

1. npupko

npupko Junior Member
    from MA

I have been plowing for many years (residential & commercial) using a company truck for many years and decided that this year I wanted to put my truck to use and work as a sub.

On of the requirements is to gave snow plow insurance/general liability insurance. I called my agent and she quoted me $3,750/yr. paid in full (no payment plan). She said that I would have to be placed in a pool and couldn't give me a company name.

I have a 2010 F350 Reg. Cab with 8' Boss VXT Plow.

Any suggestions? That is, in my opinion, way to much.

Thanks!

2. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

I pay 1200 a year for my gen. liabilty insurane, granted it is for landscapeing and plowing all year not just for the plowing season.

3. npupko

npupko Junior Member
    from MA

Wow really. I was quoted $3750/yr for 1mil/2mil and $3000/yr for 500k/1mil. all paid up front and that's just for snow plowing. I don't know why the price is so different.

4. Sabsan84

Sabsan84 Senior Member

I would shop around, that sounds insane, for just general liability insurance should be 1 third of that. Unless you were talking insurance for the truck, but it still shouldn't be that high, even if you had a new tandem axle peterbilt w a plow!

5. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

check out GLquote.com for your general liablity insurance.

You don't have to pay upfront the whole cost and can make monthly payments.

6. npupko

npupko Junior Member
    from MA

That is just for a GL standalone policy.

I just got a quote from GLquote.com MSsnowplowing is this where you have your policy through?

Glquote.com com quoted me at>
    $2000 premium
    $421 tax
    $350 broker fee

Total: $2392.71 for a 1 year policy. 1mil/2mil

Definitely lower than what my agent quoted me.

Any thoughts?

7. MSsnowplowing

call them in person you should be able to get that lower

8. npupko

npupko Junior Member
    from MA

I will in the am but does anybody have them and what what your experience like? Are they a real company?

9. MSsnowplowing

I have them, switched last year.
    $1,400 for the year.
    Paid around $400 upfront and make payments each month around $88.
    Thats for a one million gl policy good for year round.

I do maintain a few select commercial clients for lawn care so that may be why yours is a bit higher if your just plowing snow.

It also may be a bit higher based on the state you live in.

To get a certificate of liablity, you go online, put in your name and policy number and email. The Clients name, address and email.
    And during their business hours you and the client get it in about 1 hour vie email in adobe format. I save it to my clients folder so I have a copy of it also.

Really easy to do thats why I like them.

Here's my agents name, give him a call;
    Mike Orr 888-269-0992 x106

10. npupko

npupko Junior Member
    from MA

Great! Thank you for all of your advise!

11. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Just a tip snow only insurance is very expensive. They look at it as a risk being in business for 3 months. Tell your agent that you do landscaping. that should save you big money around 1200 liability for the year. Mine is done thur my contractor liability but that i more than landscaping. The other thing that will drive cost is break down of residential vs comm work.

12. npupko

npupko Junior Member
    from MA

Fireside-i already tried that with my agent and they said that it wouldn't matter.

I understand slip and fall is big now but this is robbery.

13. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance Sponsor

Guys, I'm reading these posts and I just want to say that while the cost is very important, please, please, please make sure you know what you are buying. There are so many crumby insurance policies floating around now, and worst..many insurance agents and brokers who don't know what they are looking at or maybe just don't care. At the end of the day you really need to know what you are buying. If the GL policy contains a snow removal exclusion (extremely common) you are not covered. Makes no difference if you paid $200 or $200K for the policy. A good independent insurance agent is critical.

14. npupko

npupko Junior Member
    from MA

Ben, I am looking for a snow plowing only GL policy. No handyman/contractor/builder etc. liability.

Any advise is appreciated!

15. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance Sponsor

Npupko, GL for snow removal is available
    and you should reach out to a larger sized
    independent insurance agent in your area. Not
    an Allstate/State Farm etc as they don't have
    any access to the marketplace. I would be happy
    to help you but I don't practice in your area.
    Whatever you buy, make sure it covers you
    for snow removal as this is a very common exclusion
    on GL policies. Good luck.
    Ben