1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

General ff questions

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by DGODGR, Feb 1, 2010.

1. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Hey all. I have been considering using FF on my equipment and have a few questions.
    I am having problems with snow sticking in the bed of my dump truck when hauling snow off sites. My bed is eliptical and seems to be more prevelent to sticking (than traditional square boxes) and I wonder if this product would hold up with repeated loading and dumping. If so how many cycles can I expect it to last until further application is required? Will it last for the season if I haul snow only (maybe 200-300 cycles)?
    Will the FF help my snow blowers to throw snow (wet and heavy) where they normally plug up?
    Will FF help my ATV plow (or any other plow for that matter) to plow the wet and heavy stuff any better than it normally would?
    How well does FF stick to painted surfaces?
    I may want to use a sprayer and I do not have shop. Right now the higher temps that we are experiencing are in the mid to upper 30s. Is there a temperature minimum for FF application and if so what is it?
    Any other suggestions or things to consider would be appreciated as well.
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

hey guy,

can't help you at all with the questions about coating the dumb box although i will say that i would expect ff to help but not last the entire season. unless some people have tried it and offer their opinions i would think that's something you're going to have to try for yourself.

haven't had any wet snow where i am yet (aint had more than a 3 inch storm for that matter either) i can tell you that i coated the front of one of the plows with ff, did not coat the other. both plows got used in the same storm and the coated plow held up great. the snow did not stick at all where as the uncoated plow had snow stuck to it and is now missing some paint. so in my opinion coating the plows is a good idea. we haven't had enough snow for me to say how long it lasted though

ff will help keep the snow from sticking to your snow blower. i do not know if it will help throw the wet crap easier. i have yet to use my snowblower since discovering ff. we just don't get the snow where i am to warrant using it.

ff does great on painted surfaces. it will attract a layer of dust because it never dries out but that dust wipes away with no effort at all

ff can be applied at any air temperature however ff does get thicker in the cold weather. my gun and my spray can gave me an awful time last fri as the air temp outside was between 8 and 17 degrees. let the stuff warm back up for a bit and you're good to go for another lil while. i used my gun on monday while the temps were slightly above 32 and it worked fine with no issues at all

i hope i helped you at least somewhat, stay safe this winter:)

3. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

that should read dump box not dump box:blush2:

4. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

I don't know how I missed this thread! Thanks for handling it Skynyrd. Good answers all around. Fluid Film will help the snowblower chute from clogging, though.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Just try it and you will like it.
    It will help in every situation you asked about and many more.

6. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

not a problem dano:salute:

7. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

When applying FF to the bottom of a fairly rusty (2003 ford) truck, is there any prep work required to prevent further rust (wire brushing, pressure washing, etc)? What quantity would be required for an entire undercoating? Also, is it an issue at all using FF if I want to paint the underside of the truck in the next year or two-or just clean, degrease, and paint like normal? Thanks in advance.

8. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

i did the underneath of our gm, our recently departed dodge and, our recently aquired ford without any prep at all. however, it wont hurt to wash everything and remove any loose flaky rust. the gm took a quart or just over a quart, the dodge took a quart, the ford took took quarts or so. i don't recall what dan has said about removing ff, i believe it was just soap anmd water but yeah, a good cleaning will be all you need to paint over it. just make sure to apply more ff after the paint cures:salute: here's the links for the gm and ford. the ford link is a complete start to finish ff jobwesport

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=289283

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=303149

9. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

It's a great product that may be used just about anywhere, JUST NOT as a personal lubricant or a child birthing lube! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

10. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Fluid Film is great but if you are having problems with sticking you need some insulation wax. Make sure the bed is clean and even a fresh coat of paint helps. Then apply the insulation wax as you would per the directions which is just like waxing a car. Then you can apply a good layer of FF, I prefer it out of a paint sprayer.

They use insulation wax on power lines to keep ice from sticking, and boats to keep algea from growing, and as a hard as rock protectant but its flexible.

11. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

that sounds interesting, i've never heard of that stuff. where can you get it? thanks for sharing the knowledge:drinkup: