1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

General contractors liab. insurance- can't find!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ChicagoSnow, Aug 16, 2002.

1. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

We'll as of 8/20/02 my General liability insurance will be cancelled from Statewide Insurance Company in IL.. This is a first for me!

The reason they give is that I have gone from a employee bearing business to a 95% "general contractor operation" with no employees. In doing so my insurance agent has made quite clear to me that there are great more risks involved when one "generals" out work instead of being employee generated? I just can't understand even with sub's listing you as additional insured on their gen liab. policies, how can the risk be greater as a general contractor than with employees?

Any one out there know of resources to find a "general contractor" general liability insurance provider that will NOT exempt snow plowing and possibly pesticide applications?

My agent said he has no luck finding a carrier that will take me with all the changes going on in the insurance industry!

Just wondering why when I sub-contracted out work before under my regular business general liability policy it was not frowned upon? Maybe because I told them that I am a General contractor???????? Are these high risk words in the insurance industry??? Maybe I should change my vocabulary........like that would help!

Any "Green and White" industry insurance providers would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

ChicagoSnow

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Time for a new agent.

Most GL policies go through The Hartford then come back to you with a commission tacked on and a different name on the cover. Maybe try them direct.

3. ChicagoSnow

Thanks Bill for the quick reply!

Do you have a telephone number or web address for The Hartford insurance company?

Thank you,

Joe

4. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Insurance should not be difficult to obtain...

Then they wonder why people "scab" it without insurance. I am not advocating being without insurance, so keep your flames to yourself.:nono:

Try finding an agent that sells Westfield. I would not mention having problems, etc. unless they ask SPECIFICALLY. I'm not saying to lie, because that is fraudulant, but don't volunteer any information that could scare an agent or underwriter unnecessarily.

Maybe try looking Westfield up on the net and find a local agent from there. If you have no luck, I can put you in touch with my agent. I can't guarantee anything, but I would guess if anyone could get you insurance, our agency could. (I don't brag about the good service of many local businesses.) You and I are not in real close proximity, but we are in the same state and with insurance, that would be the only thing that mattered. PM me if interested. (I Pm'd you today, but got no response?)

The agency we use only sells policies of insurance companies with an A+ financial rating if I'm not mistaken. Of course, 9/11 could have changed all that! I believe only certain companies got hit hard from the policies paid out for the tragedy of 9/11 and others have suddenly discovered that they have been losing money for a while, now. Call me a cynic, but I personally am having a hard time swallowing that one being a businessman myself.

Good luck, I hope I helped!

5. ChicagoSnow

Hello Snojob67,

I did "PM" you back today............let me try it again.

I will check out Westfield..........thank you!

I really have posed no great insurance risk in my past years of business which makes it very hard to believe that my insurance agent can't find a provider. I guess it's true, maybe the sources that will accept may not offer enough profit for the listing agent???......... Who knows!

We'll I'm off to my insurance search!

Thanks,

ChicagoSnow

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Go right to the Hartford. I got mine through them. Of course I have relatives who are high in the company.

Lawnguy is right though. They seem to be the top company and have very good rates.

7. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

CT18Fireman

What amount of coverage do you carry? what are you paying for a premium?

I'm looking to change companies.

8. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Here's my 2 cents....

Acordia is the 6th largest broker in the USA.
    We just started using them and found them to be uniquely informed on the needs of the green and white industries.
    ALCA uses them and highly recommends them.
    Go on the net and find them and get their local (or closest) office.

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Thanks, John but when I did a search it said "This site is no longer on the Internet". Any other site they have?

10. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Doesn't that stink.....

Ok...... Acordia is now a part of the Wells Fargo group of financial companies... don't know if that has caused a problem with the web sit or not.....

Anyway.....

Here's the northeast regional office phone number in Morristown, NJ... they will be able to direct you to the nearest local office...

800-227-0185 (phone)
    973-425-5414 (faz)

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

JCurtis

I will send you an e-mail on Monday.