1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GEN3 runway deicer

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by peterng, Jan 15, 2012.

1. peterng

peterng Senior Member

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff:

http://www.lntsolutions.com/downloads/Gen3-Intro.pdf

I can get this stuff for 2/3 of the price by the bag on the pallet.

I was going to use it in place of magnesium and use it as a base for some brine experiments.

Thanks,
    Pete

2. peterng

peterng Senior Member

The reason I ask is they are taking this GEN3 stuff and using it to coat sodium. 1% GEN3 99% sodium and a trace of corrosion inhibitor.

http://www.landscapestore.ca/images/winter/jetblue_msds.pdf

They sell the jet blue for $10/bag 20kg bag. I'm looking at this to replace magnesium for me now. If it does what it says it'll do it'll replace my 15.45/bag 23kg magnesium.

Any input ?
    Thanks,
    Pete

3. dirtydog83

dirtydog83 Junior Member

How did you find it worked? I see the Jet blue being pumped around here (Sw Ont) pretty good. I got the guy out Burlington way hounding me to try it. Let us know how it does, im looking for change in product too.

Dirty

4. peterng

peterng Senior Member

It had better work, I am picking up a palet of it tomorrow and we've got another storm coming through the day Friday.

Let me know how that storm goes :) we get most of them from the Great Lakes.

I'll let you know.
    Pete

5. dirtydog83

dirtydog83 Junior Member

How did that Jet Blue end up working out for you?

6. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I don't think I'll be buying any more of it. If all you need is something that gets you working at a colder temperature then the gen3 coating certainly works a bit better but the fact of the matter is your paying premium for 99% sodium chloride. 1% of the concentration by weight is GEN3. I laid some down with the spreader side by each with the magnesium chloride I use and there was no comparison. I have been talking with this guy:

Trevor Zemliduk
    National Sales Manager Canada/US
    www.LNTsolutions.com

They make GEN3. I'll look at some of their products next but I've still got half a pallet of Jet Blu to use up first.
    Pete