1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gen 3 Ram Cummins transmissions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by sqdqo, Jan 2, 2012.

1. sqdqo

sqdqo Member
    from mqt mi

Were the transmissions supplied with the Gen 3 Rams & Cummins all the same? I am considering a Gen 3 vintage Ram with a Cummins for a plow truck and have heard from more than one Ram/Cummins owner that they have had trans problems which required either re-build or replacement. Could someone offer an experienced opinion(s) of their own? I don't want to make a decision that I will be sorry for.
  2. leepotter

leepotter Senior Member

I believe there were 2 different Trans. The Automatic that came in the 305 HP HO motor, and then the one that came in the 245 HP motor.
  3. WILLD420

WILLD420 Junior Member

Anything is possible, but it should be a 48RE if it's not the new 6 speed version.

They are adequate if you drive them nice. Second gear is usually the one that goes out, then it's all down hill from there.

There are tons of tricks to keep them alive longer, the best one is to lift off the throttle when it changes gears a little and take some stress off the transmission. The second best trick is to keep the programmers away from them. You add 100 hp and 300 lb/ft of torque to the engine and it's going to smoke the trans in a hurry.

The factory toque converters are junk. The rev the engine to the moon and make a lot of heat.
  4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

The early 03 trucks had the 47whatever letters and the 03.5 and up had the 48RE. Id make sure it has the 48RE
    For a few hundred bucks you can modify the valve body to increase the line pressures and it will help a lot
  5. WILLD420

WILLD420 Junior Member

6. dm5.9

dm5.9 Member

If you put a torque converter and a valve body in either the 47 or the 48re they will hold up pretty good. Just make sure you do it before the current one starts slipping
  7. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

the 03 to 04.5 had 47re's in them. they are junk in stock form. the 04.5 to 07.5 had the 48re's which were a lot better but if you are looking for big power you just need to bite the bullet and do the trans first.
  8. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

I had a 2003 Cummins non HO, the truck was worked to death, pulling huge loads, and plowing its entire life.. Installed a 100 hp banks programmer, and a few other mods at 30,000 miles.. Sold the truck with almost 200,000 miles and the trans was never touched... Maintenance is the key, changed my trans fluid twice a year (in fall, and after plowing season) adjusted the bands as well
  9. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

+1 to that. 04.5 here, no problems, sitting at 115K miles, maintained regularly also.
  10. sleeper1g

sleeper1g Junior Member

thats the only problem when you attach a cummins to a dodge transmission, it tears em up, my 06, 48re went out with 65,000 on it, put a Goerend brothers trans with all the goodies