1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Geeting new Plow installed Next Monday

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by iakentdoz, Dec 19, 2005.

1. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Just thought I say Hello to everyone. :waving:

This is my first year for running my own business, It was a bad year for just getting started in lawn care but a great year for snow removal!!! I didn't start out thinking I would do snow removal, but after doing the small drive and walks for a costumer who I mow for and getting another drive and walks for a friend who I bowl with, I don't know why I didn't want to.

I bought a New Toro snow blower to do the 4 accounts I now have, but I keep getting calls to do drives and alleys and I know there is no way I can do them with a small snow blower. Last Saturday I went to my bank and asked for a small loan to have a snow plow installed on my truck. Today, I got the loan ($4000.00) and next Monday I am getting a new Sno-way 26 7'6" Poly plow installed on my 2001 Ford F-150 Super Crew.

I didn't want to go into debt as I own all my equipment so far, but after seeing that I made just under $1000 this past month with just doing small accounts and having to say no to about 5 others, I know I pay off the plow in less than a year (2 year loan).

I'll let you know how things are going more later. Great site, love all the info every one has to offer. I'll also get pictures of my new "baby" posted as soon as I can.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to Plowsite!!!

Very Nice!
    You may want to think about doing something to beef up the front end of your truck if you find it to be sagging at all when the plow is on. Do a search for timbren load boosters. They are easy to install and dont cost too much, they will help reduce sag should you have any when the plow is raised. Also make sure the truck has an auxilliary transmission cooler (most likely does if it has the tow package). The F-150's plow good and the snoway is a great plow for your truck, I think you will like it alot. Good luck.

3. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Thanks Chris.

I don't think I have a auxiliary transmission cooler, but I am going to have the transmission fluid flushed along with the antifreeze this week. I hope the front end doesn't sag much, but beefing up the front end is some thing that can't hurt any way.

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, definately wait and see how the truck handles the plow before spending extra money. Flushing the tranny fluid is a good idea but I and all plow and vehicle manufacturers would recommend an aux cooler, plowing puts stress on transmissions and front end components the most.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I would not even try w/o a trans cooler. Trans cooler-vs-cost of new transmission. Hmmm I think I'd rather spend a 100 bucks now than a couple thousand and a injured truck later.

6. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Ditto! Reaper is right on with that one!!! I doubt the f150 has a plow prep pkg:) Have you considered maybe a used plow truck--something in the 3/4 ton range? Just a thought--hang 4Gs off the front of your 150 and if the truck dies--you still need to plow your clients!!:dizzy: ---prices are high for trucks right now! I am not saying your truck won't handle it, but if you use it for transportation too, your without a ride if you know what I mean. Best of luck with the new bussiness and Welcome!

7. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I did go ahead and get the transmission flashed and had them install a cooler too. $150 to have it install and now I feel better knowing things will better with it.

Another thing I am thinking about is having the shocks replaced. The truck has around 90,000 miles and they have never been replaced. I know the shocks don't carry the load, but just don't want to have them breakdown.

8. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

After 90,000 your shocks are proboly shot. But just some info: Bad shocks just make the ride work, they don't "break done" where they leave you stranded or anything but ya after 90,000 miles shocks are cheap and i'm sure your's are quite worn.

9. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Is the plow on? Did the dealer suggest Timbrens? This will help in the bottoming out of the front end! Something that I think you were trying to accomplish with new shocks. Best of luck!

10. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Dealer is still installing it, might not be done till tomorrow. As for the shocks, with about 90,000 miles on the truck; it's time to replace them. Just ordered 4 Rancho RS9000 Adjustable Shocks from JC Whitney, may net get them installed till spring but at lease I'll have them. I weighed the truck just before having the plow installed, Steer Axle is 3200 LBS, Drives are 2600 LBS. I'll weigh again after I get the truck back.

I am selling the Topper, so if any one needs a white topper for a Ford Supper Crew cab, check out my Ebay.
    I plan on installing a Pro-Tech Louvered Headache Rack with Light Brackets from BrushTrucks.com

11. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Got the plow this morning, man does it look good!!!! I'll get pictures later tonight.

12. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

New Sno-way Plow Pics

Well here are the pics of my new toy. Truck drives and handles great with plow on it. Front end does not sag much at all when the plow is raised up. I am very happy I went with sno-way. This plow is engineered very well, Sno-way knows what they are doing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have other pics of the mount, etc if any one would like to see.

plow_04.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2005
  13. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Looks awesome. I've always liked those snoways.

14. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Looks great! You don't need Timbrens, not much sag, if any.

15. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

There is just some thing cool about a Clear plow. Plus, The way the plow is engineered just makes it look good too. You can tell that Snow-Way Plows are well though out.

more pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

plow_05.jpg

plow_06.jpg

plow_07.jpg

plow_08.jpg

plow_09.jpg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  16. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

You will love the down pressure that Snow Way provides.