1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gears Question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jadyejr, Dec 29, 2008.

1. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

Ok so I've been doing some research, and I come to find out that my truck has 4.10 gears on it. It is a 2002 Ram 2500 5.9 360. So know I'm perplexed if this is good or bad? I remember when we ordered a ram a few years ago, we had to choose why we would get these gears or the 3.73 or whatever the other ones are, but that was on a cummins and I went with the lower gears.

Do I need the 4.10, what are the advantages and disadvantages to this gear ratio? Should my truck get better take off, pull more or less, does it getter better or worse MPG? I'm totally confused on the gears and how they can make a difference....

So when I don't know something, I ask... I appreciate all the expertise you guys have, and your willingness to share!

2. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Sorry but this will be long……

4.10 gear vs 3.73 gear

the 4.10 gear is a higher number but it is the lower gear of the 2 you listed
    I can’t tell you if the need the 4.10 gears or not.
    4.10 gear will take off better and pull/tow more then the 3.73 gear.
    9 times out of 10 the 3.73 gear gets better MPG then the 4.10 gear (the only time the 3.73 gears will less mileage then the 4.10 is when your doing the stop light to stop light all day)

how the gear effects speed and power the 4.10 gear is 41 teeth on the ring and 10 teeth on the pinion every one roation of the drive shaft will turn the pinion one full turn. So the 10 teeth on the pinion will come in contact with 10 teeth on the ring and turn the tire ¼ of the way around.
    The 3.73 gear is 39 ring and 11 pinion one roation of the drive shaft will turn the tire 1/3 of the way around or 1/6 more then the 4.10 gear.

***Disclaimer 4.10 gear is 41-10 For sure I not sure if the 39-11 is 3.73 gear or the 3.90 gear***

When thinking of changing gears (here is the list of questions you need to ask and answer to yourself) I put my answers in ( ) just to give you an idea..
    What are you going to be doing with the truck? (60% driving 40% Towing hauling)
    How much weight will you be haul tow ing? ( 5000 to 10000 lbs)
    What percentage will the truck be on 55mph + roads (65% of the time)
    Gas or CTD ? (CTD)
    Auto or stick? (Automatic)

My truck has 4.10 gears with stock size tires, it has too much gear (but when you buy used, you can’t pick and choose just one thing) mine would do better with 3.73 gears, but it more a pain to change them then live with what already there.
    Now if had the CTD was 6 speed the 4.10 gears would not be bad.
    With a gas motor auto or stick 4.10 gears without a question

Gas motors like more rpms then the Cummins. Red line on stock CTD is 3000rpms gas it is about 5500rpms the CTD normally last twice as long as the gas motor.

So there is a lot more to look at the just the gears………..

3. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

Thats exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate it! If I had my choice right now I would totally go with the CTD on my 2500 truck. I have no problems with the 360 but would just rather have the CTD.

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

You cant get the stick with 4;10's