1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gearing up for big snow fall.

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by sublime68charge, Feb 1, 2011.

1. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

well I left work at 2pm and just now got into the house after preping for the big snow fall coming in tonight. 6-12" for my area with high winds and drift's.

So I had to put new belts on my ATV Blower which is a 3 hour job to take the drive apart put the new belt in and put back together.

Then from this mornings plowing of 4" I had 2 cross bars on my rear tire chains break and most of the cross bars where getting thin so instead of fighting breaking cross bars for the rest of winter those came off and I took an old truck set I had and put em on the quad.

I took the tires off the ATV and put the tire up on my work table and from now on when I have to put tire chains on a quad I'm doing it that way. was super easy to work with the tire at waist level for putting the chains on. Let all air out of tire lay chain across table roll tire onto chain hook up both sided roll tire back forth length of table once or twice and then snug up chain due this twice air up tire put on quad done.

any way that's my afternoon getting ready for the next days snow removal excursion.

sublime out.

2. SportsmanJay

SportsmanJay Member

Not as fun filled as your day, but I bought 5 gallons of extra gas... Weather man said last night 20"+ and this evening they now say 8"-14", so who knows! Suppose to start around 3-4am.

3. hghgrad

hghgrad Member
    from MI

My rear brakes exploded, so I ordered new pads...but they didn't come in time. I attempted to fix the fronts, but 3 out of the 4 brake cylinders are siezed with no sign of breaking free.

Plowed without any brakes at all, and only had an issue when I unloaded from my truck a few minutes ago and backed right into my jeep. Fortunately, it was in the same spot that has some previous trail damage.

Hoping the rear shoes show up tomorrow so I can do some clean up work and not have to worry about running into anything else :)

4. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

our weatherman sucks , and his pay should also but it doesn't why is that?

we got 4'' of heavier snow so i just said screw it andgot out the blower and walked thru it all, why do they make blowers for midgets? my neck hurts now dam it.

i am thinking of fabbing up some old blade to funnel the snow to the blower and attaching it to the front of my quad. and just go slow lol

5. sublime68charge

some pics of the dig out of the big snow fall.
    after getting dug out at home.

[​IMG]
    the path to rescue the quad with the plow.
    [​IMG]
    action shot,
    [​IMG]
    side shot for drift depth. the height of the blower is 19"

[​IMG]
    sublime out

6. IPLOWSNO

did you tell your boy you will buy him a new one?

erector set that is

7. sublime68charge

the plow quad is happy to be out and about,
    [​IMG]
    working on digging out the play hose,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

carnage from this snow fall. was went through a set of drive belts on the blower, also the manual pull start rope on the blower broke the 3rd time I had to start it. blower ran like crap the first 2 hours.

broke 2 cross chains on the rear of the plow quad which I ended up putting on a different set of tire chains due to that set was getting real real thin. My power angle actuator bracket came loose from the push tube and then the other actuator wasn't working at all had to swap in my spare actuator. the bracket for the downforce was also loose and had to put a new cutting edge on the plow.

that is all sublime out

8. noooooo

noooooo Member

did you tell your boy you will buy him a new one? erector set that is. My thought exactly.

9. IPLOWSNO

all in fun sublime, i know why ya did it as i would do the same exact thing buddy, not everyone has a full metal fabshop.

i'm jealous you have a rideable blower, i have been pushing mine since my winch went down, imagine my old ass out there blowing snow all over me, and i don't care where ya point the chute it always comes back to me.

so do you have new chains yet?

10. sublime68charge

yea well that part is a work in progress and that stuff is easy to work with.

the goal is to be able to get the whole blower lifted 1 foot off the ground and shave off the top half a snowplow bank back up and then power through the bottom half. the winch on the quad has the power to lift it all and my current thought is to use a Cycle country electric plow lift bolted to the dolly wheels and have that bring the blower up/down and 90% of the time the blower weight is carried by the dolly wheels but when I need to I can pick it all up for shaving off the top half of the city snow plow berms.

thanks for the comments guys.
    you have any other ideas for being able to move the 4link set up/down but letting it float when down and then for up/down on the blower lift pivoting off the dolly wheel bars?

Sublime out.

11. sublime68charge

dugg in the back of the garage and found a set up old truck tire heavy chain that all I had to due to make em fit was move the last cross bar up 2 links. and they were wore pretty bad on the front side of the link's so I just put them on backwards to where on the back side of the links and they should last me a few years I hope. I am now down to just 1 pair of spare chains so gonna have to keep a lookout this summer at garage sales for more tire chains. usualy get a set for $10 or less.

I'll sell ya the whole unit for $6k, comes with 3point on back of quad and 60" rear blade as well. LOL

no winch yet?

12. IPLOWSNO

rub it in it's in the mail lol

13. sublime68charge

no rubbing it in would be posting up a Pic of my spare winch sitting on the shelf in the garage. I'd offer to send it to ya via FedEx but I already know how that would go. LOL

Good thing I'm in the house for the night and don't wanna go back out to the garage just for that.

though be glad your snowblower works for snow remval and your not having to shovel by hand.

ok I'm going to bed for the night.

hope to be back on tomorrow.

14. IPLOWSNO

haha i can take it as good as i can give it lmao i was gonna say the same thing about the boxes ofnew chains i have laying around hahaha but ya beat me to it .

15. sublime68charge

ya but you can still plow snow on stock tires with out chains better than you can plow using a ratchet strap as a sub for a winch ROTFLMAO,

sublime out.

oh and more erector set playtime.

here's a pic of the heat source I use for the winter and on top is a 15 gallon grey tank from a RV this lets me know if Im losing water out of the heating system.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  16. IPLOWSNO

you bastid, i have been playin in snow since 12 last night,i am thinking plowing snow commercially and my neighbors are gonna come to an end quickly,

out of all places for my snoblower to run out of gas would have to be across the street lol

oh and the recoil is broke, i have to write up a thread in the commercial zone keep an eye out for it.

and now your being just plain MEAN hahahahahhahahahahaha naw pansy i got you

17. hghgrad

hghgrad Member
    from MI

I ran my quad out of gas around the block...directly in the middle of the road the other day :)

This thing doesn't have any reserve setting, so I tend to run it out on a regular basis.

18. sublime68charge

IPlow,
    yea my recoil on the atv blower broke on the 3rd pull so I was stuck not straying far from elec power to use that to get it started. Plus it was running on old gas so It would due alot of dying on me. soon as I got dug out at home I went and got fresh gas for it and took the hand recoil off and over to a guy who fixed me up in 5 minutes where it would've taken me an hour to rethread that thing back together.

hgh, I try to make it a habit of filling up the quad after each plowing event my route takes me 2 blocks away from a gas station so I just drive right on over.
    that way I know I can alway's go through my route and not worry about gas.

unless the quad is still 3/4 full then I'll skip the gas station fill up.
    though my quad has a fuel gauge that's easy to read.

19. IPLOWSNO

yea i am not good with recoils hahaha ive sold stuff cheap because it needed a recoil. i thought about hooking up all my lead cords across the street but the are dam heavy at 80' a whack lol

we had 5'' of the heaviest snow of the season,thats why i have the blower. a quad only goes about 5'before it says yea right, i was in a dually last night and the turbo is just a whining and all i was doing was spinning 6 tires lol

20. noooooo

noooooo Member

If you need more lift then it looks like you could put a pulley at the top of your uprights and winch from up there. It should give more lift. May have to extend the arms more so you can get more lift. The erector set comment was a light hearted joke.