1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gearing advice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DwarF, May 10, 2001.

1. DwarF

DwarF Junior Member

I have been reading through past posts in this forum regarding gearing. But I am having a problem narrowing down an answer. I have an 83 Blazer that I am trying to regear. I have added 35 in tires, and swapped out the engine. I don't know the transfer-case ratio (NP208) or the Transmission(700R4), and I know it has a stock rear-end on it. How do I find out the proper gearing ratio? Once I find out the ratio, what does it mean, as in, are there multiple rack/pinion combinations that will give you that ratio? I might not do the work myself, but I would at least like to be educated on what I am talking about. I have been all over the web, and nobody explains this stuff. There are lots of calculators, but I have too many unknowns. So...Any help would be greatly appriciated, as always.

2. DwarF

DwarF Junior Member

Ah, I found a good site with explanations. If anyone has similar question, check out
    Gearing explained