1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gear shifter stuck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by clark lawn, Jul 3, 2008.

1. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

over the last two days the gear shifter in my 97 f350 has been messed up. with the key in run the shifter will not move but with the key in the off postion i can move it like normal. ive been having to put it in nuetral to start it. it shifts fine throughout the other gears just wont come out of park

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If they still use the shifter collar on that year it may be worn out. I had the same problem with my 89. Or the ignition interlock has a problem. If It has the cable operated shifter it may have a loose screw at the transmission end. I have seen a few people here have that happen. Most repair manuals don't address problems like this. Might consider going to a bigger library. They have the pro MOTORs etc manuals that are more in depth. They may have to drag them out of the basement but they should have them.

3. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

We had a truck do the same thing & it was a fuse. I can't remember which one but I do remember that happening a couple years ago.

4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

well i figured it out today. yesterday the brake light quit working, i found a broken wire at the switch were the privious had spliced in for the trailer brake control. it was not tripping the interlock system repaired wire and all is good.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I forgot about the interlock system on the newer trucks.