1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gear ratio

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ABES, Jun 30, 2007.

1. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

how do i know what rear axle and gear ratio i have??

thanks

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

gears

call your local chevy dealer with your vin number!

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

To verifying what ratio your truck has, look at the "RPO code" decal in the glove box. I'm sure you've heard of this before. It's the white decal with multiple columns of three digit letters and numbers. The code "GT4" would be 3:73's and the code "GT5" is for a 4:10 ratio. "G80" denotes locking differential.

4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

thanks B@B i have the 3.73 it looks like. hopefully in the near future i will be able to upgrade to 4.10s with a locker.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Happy to help bud, what type of locker are you thinking about installing?

6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i have no idea what kind of locker to use. what would you recomend?? i do know that i need one though after burying my truck in a mud hole yesterday a locker would have been nice.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The type of locker or limited slip diff I recommend to guys is dependent on what they use the truck for and how much plowing or off roading they actually do verses how much the truck is street driven. Some true lockers are very rough and noisy when street driven so it just depends on what you do with the truck. In most cases a limited slip style diff is a much better option. What do you primarily use the truck for?

8. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

mostly street driving but on the weekends and after work and school i do a fair ammount of off roading.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

For only the occasional off road use I wouldn't recommend installing an aftermarket full mechanical type locker as they're very noisey and harsh on the street. You'd be much better off either looking for a used factory Gov loc or buying a new aftermarket limited slip diff like an Auburn or a clutch style Eaton . Now if money isn't an issue I'd recommend a selectable type locker like an Eaton E-locker or a Detroit Electrac.

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

A rear end swap out will most likely be identical to the job i did, here's a thread with some pics of when i did mine a lil while ago:
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=46224

just keep in mind though, if you change the gear ratio in the back, you have to do so in the front as well if you want to be able to use your four wheel drive.

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

For a good posi check out the detroit trutrac. For a full locker that only works when you want it you could get an ARB Airlocker, those things are cool, but $$$$$$

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Normally I would have suggested a Detroit Trutrac also but they don't make one yet for the 9.5 14 bolt :mad:

13. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

thats what i have right??? the 9.5 14 bolt??

thanks

14. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i have thought about that but first i have to decide if i am going to go with 265s or go all out with a 4" lift and 35"s because i dont think the gov loc will like the 35" tires all that much

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep. 9.5 14 bolt,33 spline axles.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your going to run 35's then I'd definity go with an aftermarket unit verses a factory Gov-Loc.

17. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

thanks again B&B i think you know more than anyone else on plowsite.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

LOL! That's a pretty big set of shoes to fill there...but thanks for the complement ABES. I just enjoy helping good people that need it:salute:.

19. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Post comment deleted, now how do I just delete this whole post?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I never really paid attention to that since my truck has the ever unmighty 10bolt.

He just happens to know how to build and maintain a cool gmc k10