1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gear Ratio for a F 450???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by pumpman26, Apr 28, 2005.

1. pumpman26

pumpman26 Junior Member

I am about to purchase a new F 450 with the 6.0 diesel, and i was looking for suggestions for the gear ratio. With the Body and crane i am putting on it will be a total of around 13,000 lbs. I also on the rare occasion will be pulling my mini escavator whick is 7000Lbs. I know that the 4.88 is standard, however where i work, they just bought 2 new f 550's manual shift with the 4.88 and the same weight i plan on putting on, and they are dogs. At 13,000 lbs you have to pull out in Low Low, with the 6 spd 4.88. Hope someone can help me. I want a ration where i can pull out in first and save the Low Low for a hill or when i'm pulling a load. Thank You in Advance...

2. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I would think that the 4.88's should be more than enough handle 21,000 lbs. I have 4.56's in my 97 (5spd) SWR and they are way to low for long highway running. In my 99 (6spd) and 05 (auto) DRW also 03 (6spd) SRW I have 4.10's. My company haul construction equipment and materials. I have found that on flat ground I can start in 1st (not low) with up to about 18,000 in tow(trailer and load) 26,000 lbs total, but starting on hills and any weights higher than that we use low gear.

You might want to look at getting the torqshift. I got it in my 05 and with the tow command system it is just unreal. You don't don't even know that the trailer is behind you once you hit the brake. My only complaint with the entire 05 truck is the motor feels weak, I am just not sure I want to mod this truck as much as the others.