1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gear box shaft removal

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ohchit, Jan 3, 2008.

1. ohchit

ohchit Junior Member

Anyone have a good way to get the gear box shaft threw the clutch? I have the new gear box and all new bearings but the shaft is seized on the clutch. Any suggestions would be great.

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

sorry but i don't have any suggestions.....where you located at in MO?

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Take it to an auto parts store and ask them to press it out as you would a bearing, unless youi know someone with a press that would help you out, expect to pay a little bit if you have a parts store do it for you.

4. ohchit

ohchit Junior Member

I'm in Lee's Summit I bought a meyer mold board from you a couple of years ago.

5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

good to hear for you again....did you get the Meyer plow built?

6. ohchit

ohchit Junior Member

Yea it is actully on the truck with the messed up spreader. The other guy said to go to the parts store and have it pressed off. Nothin comes off till the shaft and clutch are seperated. Any other ideas?

7. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

i assume this is a v box spreader with a gas engine. if so, once i could not get the clutch off by heating up and trying to pull it off with a gear puller. i had to take a cutting torch and remove a section of the clutch. when i got down near the shaft, i used a saw zall and then finally a dremmel with a heavy cutting blade. i cut out a small section and it finally broke loose. now i anti seeze everything.