1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gcvw 74-82 3/4-1ton

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by omle64, Oct 29, 2001.

1. omle64

omle64 Junior Member
    from idaho

I am considering rebuilding an older chevy truck to tow a fifth wheel trailer (don't own either yet). If anyone knows where I can get the gcvw or the recommended towing capacities for 74-82 3/4 and 1 ton trucks I would appreciate it. Also if anyone has any ideas about the best tranny/ rear end ratios to use it would be great. I am considering a 2wd truck with a 454. Thanks for any help or comments.

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Can't offer any numbers as far as GCVW or recommended towing capacities goes, I can say that my C-35 with 350/Turbo 400/4.10 rears pulls great but gets lousy fuel mileage! It CAN do up to about 85 mph, but it's a lot happier around 60 - 65 mph tops!

When you say "fifth wheel trailer", are you referring to a flatbed or camper trailer, and do you intend to do a lot of highway cruising or do you need plenty of "launch power" for heavy loads in town?

Just thinking out loud, for highway I would feel something along the lines of a 3.73 rear axle would be a good choice. If it's going to be working around town, 4.10.

That's just me thinking out loud - some of the other members are more qualified than myself to answer your questions!

3. omle64

omle64 Junior Member
    from idaho

For clarification purposes: I am planning on pulling a fifth wheel travel trailer mostly on the highway. I would be most appreciative of anyone whom could tell me how heavy of a fifth I can safely pull with the 3/4 and 1 ton. Thanks for your help.

4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks - that clears things up a bit!

You mentioned 454, so I'm going to go "out on a limb" and suggest something along the lines of 454/Turbo 400/3.73 rear.

Not sure how many manual trans options there were in those years, I do know that my work truck ('79 C-30 dually cab & chassis) has the grunt-low 4 speed and while it's a great work truck transmission, you might not like it the best for long distance towing.

I don't know what 5'th wheel travel trailers generally weigh in at (They're a little out of my price range! :( ) but the fifth wheel flatbed trailer I built weighs in at around 4,000# empty, I've pulled it with a couple of tons+ on there for a total trailer weight of around 9,000# and mine handled it with no problem. (I might add that was a 6,400 mile round trip out to Yellowknife NWT and back! :eek: Young and foolish then, glad I went but don't think I'd do it again!)

IMO, a truck like you're describing should handle any tandem axle fifth wheel travel trailer just fine. Three axle ones might be getting a b-i-t big.

If you go automatic, definintely hang a big transmission cooler on it!

A gasser is going to like it's fuel on those long trips - any thoughts on going diesel, other than the fact that back then the 6.2 was all you could get?