1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gave a bid taday

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clark lawn, Oct 8, 2007.

1. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

got a call from a video store chain late friday about snow plowing,went out over the weekend and looked at the 4 locations. Called they manager this afternoon and gave him a price and right off he states that isdouble what i payed for the last three years. So i ask him who did it and why are you getting prices he says the guy quit doing it this year. He then asks me if i can do it for these rates $20 for a lot that will take 20-30 min. I asked him if the prices on movie rental in negocable he says no they are $$$ for 5 days,but we have a product you just ride around in a truck and play in the snow, you should be happy to get that kind of money for only about a half hour of work. I tried to tell him about having someone that is insured and he flat out told me he dont care if they are insured or not but he is not paying that kind of money to anyone.
  2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

So say have a nice day. I turn down that crap all the time. Its not even worth the effort talking to them.

I tell them the price and what it includes. Thats it, no breaks for insurance, tax, whatever I don't care if they are paying me cash or in free movies the price doesn't change.
  3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Hey, at least you feel good that you don't have to deal with that jerk. I'm just starting out, and if you don't mind, what were you asking him for?
  4. Diesel Sniffer

Diesel Sniffer Member

I agree with Flipper 100%. I get those from time to time to and I don't even argue with them or try to make a point any more. They don't want to pay for your services but as soon as the snow falls they'll be the first one on the phone asking you where you are and complaining that you should have been there hours ago. Don't waste your time, move on to the next one that will appreciate your customer service and legit business practices.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I go along with not discussing it, too. You give a price; they either take it or not. If not; walk away.
  6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

HAVE someone you know go in and quote him a price slightly more than yours. (just to make him second guess himself). lol
  7. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

The manager will find some chode who will do it for the price he wants. He will have to repeat the process every year or three whatever it takes for the new monkey to figure out he can't make it at the low price.
  8. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i dont understand how they cant understand that for twenty bucks it isnt worth it.
    i figure the expenses on my truck for seventy bucks a hour. half hour is thirty five. but thats WITHOUT me making anything. and i dont volunteer. trucks, plows, insurance, GAS nothing cheap. \

WHAT i really cant understand is how someone can run a hundred thousand dollar (or more) loader for crap money per hour moving snow. THAT scares me when i see it. just awful. hell. just the depreciation from the hours hour meter. must be more than what some of these guys are getting paid. better off parking the truck and loader and staying home if your in that situation.
  9. NCass31

NCass31 Member

i forgot who it is thomas or something along those lines, but on lawnsite.com there is a member that has the perfect quote in his signuature..don't credit me for this, but i can't remember his name...

"it is not our job to make it affordable, it is your job to afford it"

i think thats what it says..anyways, you get the point, and i love the point.
  10. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i with everyone else on this, don't sweat it. when it comes to roofing bids and someone pulls this on me i usually give them the names of a couple other contractors that work cheeper than we do, that way they keep too busy on the cheep jobs to get my good paying jobs.
  11. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

Go slip in the parking lot. And sue him and the guy he finds that isnt insured. Then you can own the movie store and two plowing companies.