1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gauges gone CRAZY

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Boutallnite, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

After plowing yesterday, on the way home my gauges went crazy on me.
    All of a sudden the "check gauges" light came on and my RPM & MPH gauges dropped to zero. The odometer displayed "NO BUS". After a minute or so they jumped back up and all was working again. About five minutes after that they did it again for like 20 seconds.

Any ideas of what that could be?
    Its a 2000 Wrangler 4.0L 5-speed.

2. snowgm

snowgm Member
    from MI

Maybe the speed sensor on the tranny? I know GM's have a little pickup right by the output. Of course its going to be a wire somewhere - it could be anywhere between your tranny and your instrument cluster. Sounds like a job for a $50 diagnostic from your garage.

3. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

Interesting you should mention this.
    I've got a 98 Cherokee that does something similear.
    The gages will all go to zero & the check engine & airbag warning lights will come on. I've found pressing the trip gage will reset them, as well as tapping on the dash. As best I can figure, it's a loose wire of some sort on/in the dash. That's beyond me, so I just put up with it when it happens.

~Matt

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

could be anything from a loose wire to a faulty sensor to a bad or dying computer. Have the diagnost codes checked (doubt there's anything there but...) and keep an eye out for loose wires.

5. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

My 98 tj did the same thing,you might check with the dealer.I think there is a service bullitin on this condition(a faulty circuit board wire connector). Good luck!!

6. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I've gotta 98 Grand 5.9 LTD that does it too. It always jumps back up there though! My "oil pressure" guage drops as well. Truck is running fine though. The dealer just says, "that's a chrysler for ya".

7. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

i just remembered what the dealer called the fix for my dash problem was. It was called a patch kit for the cluster. Hope this helps you!!

8. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

In mine, it is something in the overhead console that houses the temp and sunroof controls. Mine has been replaced numerous times. The truck has 106k on it. rebuilt trans, rear end re-shimmed 4 times rebuilt twice. front diff rebuilt 1 time, 2 cooling fans, 3 o2 sensors and 9 mpg on 92 oct! oh ya..and now it needs a new torque converter again! do I hear trade in????

9. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

same thing happen to me, I had a bad ground wire.