1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gauges and loud lifter

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wirenut, Jan 16, 2008.

1. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

anyone having issues with the speedo going wacky ?
    my 04 started doing it..
    also has loud lifter truck has under 25000 miles
    are they adjustable? its a 5.3

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Lifters are self adjusting after initial install. Possible that the rocker nut has loosened up, it happened to me on my truck last year. Pull the valve cover and see if the rocker arm is loose. Could be many different things causing lifter noise.
  3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

dont know about the gauges but my chevy makes the same sound with the lifters and im at fity k. I know other people with chevy's that do it too.
    "chevy valve tap" they call it i guess.

friend of mine has two hundred k on his. changed the lifters out once and they still sound the same as the old ones. he told me to just ignore it and that he tried a few things like marvel mystery oil and finally gave up. His truck started doing it when it was only a few months old.

interested in getting
    B&B's input on this.
  4. I'll let the expert B&B chime in later but your speedo problem is probably a stepper motor gone bad inside the cluster. It was just discussed here in the last 2 weeks or so. Do a search for that. The "lifter" tick you talk about is probably not a lifter at all even though it sounds like it. GM had a problem with piston slap in the early 6.0's. I don't think an '04 should be doing it though. Again, B&B is the resident expert here and he will post at some point.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't see you said it was a 5.3, not a 6.0
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Got a letter from gm about the gauges. They are all wacked out. Have to go to dealer and get it fixed and then gm will reimburse me. They dont want to do a total recall for the gauges, cause it will cost them a lot less if the people that it happens to take it in. And it only happens after I have been plowing or so. It is either the Speedo or the oil pressure gauge...
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

wirenut, here's the thread on the cluster problem and answers in case you didn't find it..http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=55008

When exactly does it "tick"? All the time? Only when cold? Or hot? Makes a difference as far as the general diagnosis to the noise.
  7. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

thanks guys
    called an 800 num and they set up the appoint
  8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

6.0's had a horible problem with piston slap but not the 5.3's

gm's fix for the piston slap noise.................nothing. if you complained about it enough while it is under warranty they would extend the warranty to 100,000 miles :rolleyes:

the 5.3's do not have adjustable rocker arms

why do you think it's the lifter's? is the noise in the top of the motor or the lower end and is it frequient or just a slow tick

you have to remember at a idle or 1500rpm the pistons are moving at the speed of light:dizzy: so it sbould be a fast rattle if it's the wrist pin or.... slower if it's a cracked piston (rattles only on powerstroke)....bla bla bla bla

if it is a lifter don't worry too much about it..it'll last for years ..... any one remeber the ol' ford 2.9l V-6 they were some rattlin little critters but they were extremely durable

EDIT: sorry i should have read the other replies before i posted.......mine is a repeat of the other ones
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  9. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Google "gm piston slap" 4.8l 5.3l 6.0l all had/have it since 1999.
  10. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

if you hear the ticking a lot or if it has been going on for a while, i would pay close attention to the oil drain plug next time you change your oil. if you dont change your own oil i would do it next time, or at least hang around and ask the shop guys if you can see the plug when it comes out. if you've got some metal filings built up on it i'd be careful how long you wait to have anything done about it. more often than not its no big deal with the ticking noise, but sometimes it will cause something to start failing and when you get that buildup on the plug, look out. plan on an overhaul.