1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gauge cluster

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Sep 1, 2008.

1. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey guys, some of you know I bought a 95 chevy short box from another member on here, and the 1 problem I have with it is the volt gauge doesn't. I am wondering if I can just replace that part of the gauge or if I have to replace the whole gauge cluster? The gauge reads just above the red about 9 volts or so, but when you kick the air on or anything, the truck doesn't want to die. I am gonna have the alt. and battery tested, but I am 99% sure its the gauge.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your positive it is the gage itself thats the problem, you'll have to replace/change the cluster, individual gages aren't available separately. There are cluster repair shops out there that will repair your existing cluster if you want to go that route as well.

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

What might a new cluster cost, or cost to get it repaired? I am not positive, but I am pretty sure.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A brand new one is $400. A GM remanufactured unit (w/ core) is around $300.

Speedo repair shops will fix your old unit for less than $100. Depending on what they actually need after tear down of course.

Probably some on fleabay as well.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Hey b&b will a cluster from a 99 fit my truck or is the wiring different? it is from a classic 1500? Just wondering, cause gm does change wiring and what not. Also, can i take the clear cover off and roll the miles so the match up what is really on the truck?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Afraid not. Several of the pin outs are different between the '95 and '99. And the '99 cluster will need several inputs to work correctly that your '95 wont have in the connector plug or wiring due to additions GM made to the clusters as the years progressed.

Either have your existing cluster repaired, or find another '95 GAS cluster.

'95 was a tough year for trucks as the manufactures scrambled to get the air bags and OBD2 diagnostics in them by the government required deadline. Makes many things on the '95's very year specific. :nod:

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Yeah I figured, That was the year that the trucks had to have air bags, and they changed the gauges around again, from what they were, when they started in 92. I will keep looking. Is there a way if I do find one to change the odometer to match what the current one has?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes.....;)

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Do I just roll it back then by hand or is there some specific way on how to do it?

10. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I thought I read somewhere that if you just roll it back white lines will appear inbetween all the numbers :confused:

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

.....:nod: