1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gate keys and remote clickers for multiple crews

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TGS Inc., Dec 17, 2013.

1. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

I have always had challenges with gate keys and clickers during snow events. We do a lot of work that involve locked gates. Some have clickers, some have keys. We use multiple crews for these sites. Sidewalks, plow and salt truck so keeping track of keys has always been an issue at the worst possible time. Wondering if anyone has had success with something.

I have the real estate lock boxes but those are hard to open in the middle of the night and it doesn't address the remote clickers.

I'm thinking of perhaps a small box that could mount on a fence or something. Wondering what you guys have seen or perhaps have an idea for....?

Thanks!

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Good idea. Invent something that can hold a clicker and your be rich!

3. How about a fire Dept key box

4. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

We have key copies of all the gates in every vehicle, even the loaders. We just put the keys on the truck key chain, that way if you are driving the thing, you have the keys. We got tired of chasing key sets, people forgeting them in their pocket etc....

With the clickers, what about buying extra ones and programing them to that gate - one three button opener could do three gates - program them all and put them in the trucks.

That seems like a hassle, extra money but one less thing to even think about while **** hitting the fan.

5. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Problem with that is if they are like a trucking company we do. They give us 3 key cards to enter into the lot, thats it. So one stays in one tractor, one in the boss's truck and a third in the shop for whoever needs it. But they won't do more, so if you loose one, too bad.

6. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

What's the problem with making copies???

A locksmith can copy any key, just tell the customer what you are doing and the reason behind it. I would think that 95% of customers would understand and allow it - tell them you'll make 5 copies so you'll have 8 total and you'll return 8 copies to them in the spring.

The keys we have, we don't return them, hell, we've had them year round for 8+ years.

Now I re read, you said key cards, not keys. Well....... there's got to be a way to get more of them, where did the originals come from, someone makes them - if it's gonna make my life easier I refuse to hear no.

Look at it this way, it'll be that much more satisfying when you are holding 10 cards in your hand that work.

7. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Normal keys wouldn't be an issue, but encrypted key cards are another thing, they aren't 20 cents to make.

8. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

I will have to look up the firemans box.

We have keys, key cards and remotes. Having full key sets for all trucks may work by territory providing we could make many copies of the remotes and the key cards.

For example: We work in downtown Detroit. This is where most of our access issues are. We have 2-3 sidewalk crews. 3-4 salt trucks. 5-7 plows. Each of these would require access at some point. To make a set for each crew would me 12-15 sets. I guess it would be worth it if it meant the end of the "I can't get in to the site" calls.

Thought about a master box at our remote salt bin but then who knows if the guys would return the keys or not. Ugh. Hate gates and locks!

9. hosejockey4506

hosejockey4506 Senior Member

when searching for Fire department boxes they are commonly refereed to as KNOX boxes/ chances are that company will not sell to you as a private business

10. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You can buy them on amazon or a simple google search

11. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

anyone can buy a Knox box, but you will not get the key to open it.

12. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Not like the good old days! Carry a set of bolt cutters and have your own padlock that you would just add to the chain! Oh well, that's progress I guess.

13. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

Aren't these one in the same? mount it on the fence, give the code to anyone who needs access

14. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I a guess they're fake cause they come with keys lol

15. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Why not put the clicker in the lockbox?

16. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

Here's a little update:

I have decided to give anyone in need of access a copy of their key, clicker or card. They will sign something saying they have received these. They also know that at the conclusion of the season they will have $ 200.00 held back if they do not turn in all assigned keys. Also during an event they have every key they will need. If they forget them and one of our area managers has to take them a key, they will be billed for this.

Bought 20 clickers and spent $ 100.00 at the locksmith.

Bring on the sanity for the next event!

17. birddseedd

100? my truck clicker is 90 bucks just in itself

18. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

What?

I think he means he spent $100 having keys cut

I'm lucky in that all of my locations that are locked are a padlock. I just make a key for each driver that may need to get onto that property (only 4) of them handle the properties with locks on them because they are all in the same area. If they weren't trustworthy enough to have keys they wouldnt be working here

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  19. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

Sorry for the confusion...Bought the multi code clickers for 12.00 / each on ebay. We can program them ourselves.

20. birddseedd

They can be used for vehicles?