1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gasser vs. Diesel?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DanO.85, Dec 10, 2013.

1. DanO.85

DanO.85 Junior Member

Hey guys I just sold my 1/2ton 5.0 Ford. In hopes of putting the money for a down payment on a plow truck. I wanted you input on whether to go gas again or diesel?

I'm looking for a rig that is capable of doing driveways, no commercial lots or anything. Some are long and many are up hill. I plan on using the truck as a yard truck for my yard most of the rest of the year. not a daily driver though. I'm not too concerned on much more than power (uphill driveways) and reliability (cold winters, low maintenance). I figure no matter what I should go 3/4 or 1ton, but im stuck on the gas vs diesel.
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Gas. I went from a Dodge Cummins 5.9 to a Ford F250 6.2 gasser. Two different animals. If you don't need a diesel, the coolness factor wears off eventually.
  3. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Gas will save you a ton of money out the gate. Especially if you are going brand new, the emissions crap the new diesels come with can be high maintenance, and add to the cost of the truck. If you are going used, then it's a slightly different discussion.
  4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I plow with a diesel and love it. Now this truck is used year round for towing, plowing and hauling. If I had a choice I think I would prefer a gas plow truck. Less maintenance, less wear and tear on the front end and less miles on my diesel. But I can't justify adding another vehicle to my fleet so I will keep plowing with my diesel.
  5. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

Id take gas over diesel any day of the week as long as im not commercially hauling large trailers or large loads of weight on a routine basis (10K plus). Gas is cheaper to operate, usually cheaper to buy as a used vehicle, easier and cheaper to work on, starts even if its cold, and are much easier to find parts for imo. A lot of people will argue the difference in mileage for turbo diesel vs gas but if you ever have to replace the injectors or pump then that theory of savings goes all to hell.
  6. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I have a snow removal only business and we are in the process of phasing out all of our diesel pickups and switching to gas. If your not using your truck everyday to tow or pull something gas is definitely the way to go. We've been buying the Ford 6.2 and have had good luck so far.
  7. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Pickups are gas. Dumpys are diesel.
  8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

^^^What he said! IMO, unless your towing something very heavy every day then a diesel is a waste of money! One of our trucks is a diesel and honestly, I regret buying it. Everything is expensive to fix or just maintain. $110.00 to change the oil (I did it my self), $800.00 for a fuel pump, $98.00 for fuel filters, which should be done at least twice a year, EGR valve 408.00 (that might be the price of all of them though)....you get the hint! Plus fuel being still $4.00/gallon and not getting much better fuel mileage than a gasser. If you dont tow much or heavy loads then a Ford 5.4L, Chevy 6.0L or Dodge's gasser should be fine. Like Banksy said, the coolness factor wears off in about 2 months or the first major breakdown,lol
  9. mud

mud Senior Member

Dont get me wrong I love my powerstroke. It pushes like an animal but if it were not for the fact that I also must tow heavy trailers I would have a gas truck. I put 40k miles on my diesel last year and most of them had 10k or more pounds hooked to it. If not for that gas would be the better option. My other truck has a 5.4 and it has never ran out of power before traction when pushing and it will start in any weather without being plugged in too.
  10. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

With a pickup, you will always lose traction before you lose power when you're plowing. In other words, the torque advantages of a diesel are a factor when pushing snow.

I'm driving my first gas truck in 15 years right now, a 2012 F350 with the 6.2 V8 in it. In the summer I will regularly pull a 14' enclosed trailer weighing about 6,000 lbs behind it along with a 9' hard sided camper on top that weighs roughly 2800 lbs and the truck does just fine. Additionally, I'd have to drive a minimum of 150,000 miles before the diesel paid for itself in fuel savings based on the difference in cost of fuel, maintenance, and initial investment. This, of course, assumes you don't have any major engine work to do over that time, which is far more costly on a diesel.

In other words, I'll echo what most guys on this thread have said, if you don't need a diesel, don't bother.
  11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

coming from a "cool guy" with a 600 hp PSD, buy a gasser.
  12. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I went from the 7.3l powerstroke to the triton v8 and I miss the power but didn't need a diesel anymore. I've had my gas truck for a year now and want a diesel again.
  13. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

We have both gas and diesels. Besides the price in fuel difference, the diesels (especially the newer ones) are a lot harder to work on, just because they shove so much stuff under the hood of the new diesels. It's kind of funny how excited I get to turn wrenches on the gassers, just because there is enough room in the engine compartment to work in, let alone sit in.
  14. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have both, Now I love plowing with the Cummins with all the toys on it. Do it need it no. Do I want it yes.
    That said I also have a 1/2 Ton Gas Dodge with a 318 that I push a 7' 6" BOSS V plow with wings that make it 9' 4" . No problems Pushing that, Traction is the key the gaser will spin the tires with 750 lbs of salt and a blower in the back.
    So if price it key buy a Gas truck.
  15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have 5 gas trucks and 1 Diesel
    Like everybody has said Diesel For towing big loads and gas for smaller loads
    My diesel sits more then it works its only truck that can pull my 38ft GN with less effort. But I got to have it pull big Ag tractors or haul hay on it. Wasn't for that I wouldn't own a diesel
  16. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Listen to Banksy. If you don't need a diesel for heavy pulling there is no need for it. You will never get your money back. In MN regular is a dollar cheaper per gallon right now to top it off. The diesels are fun but you would be surprised how little power is needed to plow. Hell...the newer gassers make plenty of power ton push snow.
  17. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Last year I was looking at a truck drove both the diesel and the gas I'm happy I bought the gas my fuel mileage in the city is so so due to it being a v10 tones of torque without having to plug it in last plow both truck had a full tank of gas they both used 1/2 of a tank of fuel
  18. poopdeckpappy

poopdeckpappy Member
    from KC,KS

You folks have given some decent advice and I would like to add a cents worth of sense. If you want to push alot of deep snow without taking small bites out of your drive lane, a diesel with a containment plow ie V-Plow or Power Plow is a way to confidently go. So long as you have some mechanical skills to do your own repairs it will save you thousands once your truck gets over 200,000 on the odometer. Also, depending on which direction your going in business, if your gonna haul equipment or material when not plowing and want to go the next level, then a quality diesel truck is something you would want to seriously consider.

That said, if you only do lots for Arby's or Mc Donalds and that's it, then gasserup!! 7'6" plows are grossly underrated by alot of folks but not me. It's a very easy setup and you'll kick ass and do donuts around larger bulkier trucks and plows!
    I currently own both diesel and gas trucks and maintain them myself. It comes down to what you want to limit yourself to and your plans for the future. With me, the sky's the limit and I don't hesitate with alot of things. Got alot to do. Godbless!
  19. DanO.85

DanO.85 Junior Member

Thank you guys for all of your input. It looks like I'm going on a hunt for a Gasser. The only thing I will be towing is my 12' motorcycle/ATV trailer.

I guess there is no real need for a diesel at this point, as long as the grade of the driveways really doesn't matter that much. I just had the 1/2 ton ford for so long and she seemed rather sluggish last year doing the uphill driveways in some of the storms.
  20. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Lock it in first instead of drive. Makes a huge difference if it shifts to 2nd, even on my Duramax.