1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gasser or a diesle?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by zim bob, Sep 8, 2007.

1. zim bob

zim bob Member
    from MA

Well ill be getting my lisence in about 6 months i need to get a truck. i dont know what to get a gas or diesle. i know i want to get a 2500 or a 3500 pickup. from 1990 to 2000. ill be getting another job soon to start saving for one. but i dont know what would be best for my first truck. i know im gonna make it loud and more powerful also fast. i will put a boss or fisher plow on it. probably 9+ feet. and when im 18 im putting it on the town.

thanks guys

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Well if you want to make it loud I wouldn't be plowing with it then. JMO! because say you are plowing a condo complex or a residentail and you hit the gas and that thing starts making alot of nosie. I don't think the homeowner would like that to much at 2 in the morning. I have a 04 gmc with a duramax in it and love it. I wouldn't put a 9 foot plow on my truck though. The only way I would do that id if I had a 1 ton or better, granted there are some guys on here that do. I am getting a 8'2'' boss ploy vee for my truck. Works just fine for everything. It will out work a 9 foot straight blade anyday because I am not chasing snow everywhere. Anyone else have anything? Presonally I would go with a diesel.

3. zim bob

zim bob Member
    from MA

alright so a diesel with a boss V probably 8'2" or 8'6" with a k2500 or a HD. would be the best way to go? also not make it loud.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

First consideration is - What are you going to be using it for? You're going to be 16 years old - it's hard for me to imagine that you are using this thing for anything you'd need the power of a diesel for or that you'll be putting enough miles on it to make the diesel pay for itself. Also, check into the insurance cost of a 3/4 or 1 ton vs a 1/2 ton or less.

Your comments about loud, powerful and fast tell me a lot about you.

5. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

everything costs money my man...when i was 16 i dreamed of a nice diesel rig but now i'm driving a Nissan Frontier. Don't start off in debt, its not a good thing to get into...if you have no reason for a big truck like that other then to "look cool" its not worth the extra money to buy and maintain one. Settle on a nice older half ton...and i'm not taking any stabs at your driving but its probably gonna get beat up or wrecked in the first few years anyway so theres another reason not to get a nice truck

6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i am 17 and although i would love a diesel but i cant justify the extra cost. so i drive a 99 3/4 ton chevy 350 V8 gas motor. if you have the money for a diesel get one but if you dont have the money get a gas motor. and as far as a loud truck there is a point where it goes from nice sounding to annoying i have a dual exhaust system on my truck and it is noticabley louder than stock but its not so loud im getting tickets and pissing off the neighbors.

7. zim bob

zim bob Member
    from MA

well first we already have 2 trucks. i need the power of a 3/4 at least. i have a 16*6 foot trailer. i dont want it just to be cool. but to have a somewhat nice ride not to old not to new. plus we are far from rich ill be having probably 2 jobs soon. so im hoping to get enough money for a 5,000 truck. and my dad said if he has the money to spare he will give me 2,000. im not gonna be stupid im not gonna use speed just more of accelaration then speed. more power would be really nice. and when i turn 17 or 18 im planing on getting a 18 foot enclosed. plus im not gonna be plowing till next winter. so i dont need to look for a plow RIGHT away. i dont want a 1/2 i want more power. but im dont think im gonna get anything over a 1998.

8. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

a lot of older halftons have the same power of their heavier brothers, but you also get the fact that they are a lighter truck so you will feel it more...get an older Dakota with the 5.9 in it..that will pull your trailer with ease and have plenty of power...plus if you want to throw duals on there you can have a good sound too.

9. zim bob

zim bob Member
    from MA

10. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

One thing to remember about the 6.5's is that they are pigs. Not a very fast motor.I dont believe they are very mod friendly motors. Read up on them at dieselplace.com.

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Be very wary of the 6.5TD (Turbo Diesel). They are prone to malfuctioning FSD / PMD (FSD and PMD is the same thing). Very expensive to fix (stock replacement with labor is around $2,000) unless you put in an aftermarket modification. Then, they are around $400 and you install it yourself. There are several articles about it at dieselplace site that William B. mentioned. Best thing to do as soon as you buy the truck is buy an aftermarket PMD that comes with a heat sink (there is no heat sink on stock which is why it fails) and is mounted on top of the intake manifold. In this case, the aftermarket part is far superior to the original. Save yourself a lot of aggravation and money from towing.

12. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i wouldnt buy that truck if i was you its has 200K hard plowing miles on it and they want 7 grand for it :eek: ...... my 99 K2500 had 130,000 on it when i bought it and i paid $7700 with a lot af aftermarket stuff on it.

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I know your looking into the newer trucks, but you can probably pick up a very nice k20 or k30 with a 350 or 454 for $5-7k. They arn't as fancy as the new trucks, don't ride as nice as the chevys with IFS, but they will last forever and with the sfa they will hold weight better.

14. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I am a Chevy man till I die, but if you are looking for a 1990-2000 truck in a diesel, look for a 1994-1998.5 Dodge Ram. The motor in these trucks will last. The 12-valve Cummins motor is a mechanical injection throught the use of the ol p-pump. They are stout trucks and I have personally seen them sell for less than 6000 dollars. It will be loud and powerful, but not fast. As far as a 9' blade, you can carry that with a ballast on a stright axle front end. Steer clear of somthing that big on a Chevy. I carry an 8' 6" will a lot of ballast. It is sill alot for the IFS on a Chevy front end. Just my $.o2

15. zim bob

zim bob Member
    from MA

thanks ive been looking at trucks ford chevy and dodge this is what i was interested in. tell me the best out of the three. thanks

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=51

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=72

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ors=&transmission=&max_price=10000&cardist=71

16. Philbilly2

Ok, buying a truck with a plow on it...not a good idea. I have seen guys DISTROY transmissions with plowing snow. If that Chevy didn't have a plow on it I would say to go with that. That dodge that is there is exactly what I am talking about. They are a well built motor. The motor will outlast the transmission 10 to 1. That is the only problem with the Dodge trucks. The transmission was not build to the standards of a Chevy TH350 or TH400. If you plow sensablly with a dodge, it should last. This means, COMPLETE stops before shifting gears. my $.o2 again

17. zim bob

zim bob Member
    from MA

well i will have to use sence plowing my dad and brother will keep an eye on me. and i wont buy a truck with the plow i just mean the truck. i either want a fisher V or a boss V. then ill be doing some serious plowing. thanks for the advice really helped me. i dont know if im gonna get a 3/4 or a 1/2 my dad wants me to get a 3/4 because he wants it to last me at least 3 years.

18. Philbilly2

Skip the 1/2 ton. You can't carry a big plow. It will distroy that truck.

19. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm also a chevy man, but the 2nd gen 12v dodges are where the big power is at. Those motors are cheap to mod (1000 ponies is possible), last forever (proven to be a million mile motor) and a torque monster (auto trannies death). If you get a 12v cummins backed with the nv4500 you have an unbeatable combination for durability. The only problem I have heard of with the nv4500 is the 5th gear nut backing off making it so you can't get the truck into 5th gear.

Or get an old k30, swap in the 5.9/nv4500.

20. zim bob

zim bob Member
    from MA

alright so a 3/4 so i better start saving. haha:nod: