1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gasoline storage at your shop

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FourDiamond, May 13, 2016.

1. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

How many of you guys have gasoline storage at your place of business? We're about five miles from the nearest gas station so when the trucks come back almost on empty. it's five gallons cans and a trip in the pickup. If you do have storage, what's the pros and cons, and if you don't same thing.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

How many trucks are you talking about?
    Any other equipment you fill up?

3. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

Yup we have tanks at the shop, Diesel and regular gas. Same price for fuel as at the pumps down the road (within a few cents either way). The convenience is great, and definitely necessary since we use 1000L of regular gas per week during the summer.

4. FourDiamond

Seven trucks and two loaders at the shop

5. FourDiamond

Any headaches with the Canadian version of DEP with tank inspections, permits, etc? Extra liability insurance?

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

We had 3 tanks, gasoline, off road diesel, and then our mower gas. Never had any inspections. Just had the have a secondary containment built, and double lined tanks

7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Check your state/local regulations. You don't want to lay out the cash for tanks, then find out they are not correct.

8. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

Haven't had to have any kind of inspection, there are some legal requirements like distance from buildings type of wire used fuel log barricades around tanks excetera but enforcement is pretty spotty around here. If you go for a drive through the county you can spot a ton of violations on farms and shops.

My property insurance charges a small premium for having them but it's not much.

The fuel company that supplies us also provides the tanks for free provided we use a certain minimum amount each year (which we easily do).

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Pennsyltucky might not be as communist as Jersey.

We've had tanks by our shop for years. Cut out employees wasting time at gas stations every day, etc, etc. On road diesel, off road diesel and a gas tank. The gas is Rec gas which has eliminated about 99.5% of our ethanol problems. Well worth the extra cost for the gas. Prices are usually in line with the local gas station, sometimes less. Convenience, less wasted time at gas stations more than makes up for the initial investment if you have to purchase tanks, pumps or secondary containment.

Secondary containment is not required for us, but it is recommended and we use it. We did use explosion proof electrical components. No double walled tanks either.

Most of the bulk suppliers by us will supply the tank and pump for free as long as you buy from them.

By me the only thing we were told to do was contact the FD, which I was on at the time, so I was contacted.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The only advantage to owning your tanks is you can buy from anyone when price shopping. The disadvantage is all the liability is on you.

11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I stop daily at the end of everyday and fuel up, even if it's just a top up, make sure everything is fuelled for the morning. It was a habit when I worked for another company and saw the time wasted in the morning rush, employees buying morning coffee,smokes,snacks. At night everyone wants to go home.
    It'll build trust as well if you have employee credit cards for drivers. It'll show you monthly who can be trusted and not very quickly.

12. Randall Ave

It's a fact that most people get gas on the way to work. In a congested area like here. If you have a gas station, be on the morning commute side. I looked into a station years ago, but the rent was way to high.

13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

So, if u have ur own tanks in NJ, who pumps ur fuel?

14. Randall Ave

My answers are not politically correct.

15. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Nice to be reminded that I don't fit into the "most people" classification...

16. Randall Ave

I fuel everything up on Sundays. This way I get to pay for the wifes, and the kids. Now mostly I'm referring to the average commuter that drags off to work every day. You also have to realize how many people live around here.
    I don't think most of the guys here fit the average mold. :drinkup:

17. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

The convenience is great. We have gas, on road and off road tanks. We have them filled roughly every two weeks. Saves time sending multiple employees several times a week to busy and tight gas stations with trucks and trailers. Plus my employees have said it saves them money because they aren't buying stuff at the convenient store.