1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gas

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawncare18, Nov 15, 2007.

1. lawncare18

lawncare18 Senior Member

Guys.. fuel is going to be a killer if it snow a lot this year... a killer.. its gona push guys in my area out of businessss...... how much do you guys spend on fuel..

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

5600. maybe a little more.

3. BHISNOWMAN

BHISNOWMAN Member

Start adding a fuel surcharge to your contracts. I my area of CT we adjust it monthly from 6% to 10% on each bill. It helps big time.

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

For my overall business (not just snow removal), I almost spend more on insurance (not even health insurance, just liability, property and snow liability) than I do on fuel
    And my business is fuel intensive.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

If an extra $40 on fuel for each truck puts anyone out of business, they are not charging enough in the first place. I gross over $100 per hour with my trucks.Fuel is a small percentage overall.

6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

big deal??????? I spend $5k on fuel and about $40k on insurance. unless your a owner/operator truck driver stop crying. what are you going to do put a plow on your bicycle?

7. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i am with jay surecharge is tacky and shows you cant figure jobs check out "fuel surcharge" http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=48630&highlight=surcharge

heck you might as well start charging for estimates;)

but to answer the Q' we use about 1-2 loads of deisel per year depending on work load, and gas we'll use about 2000gal

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  8. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

how much do you really burn plowing........i might be wrong but i think our 7.3 PSD will run 20-30 hrs per tank????????

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I agree....

10. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

if it gets too bad i buy a toyota prius hybrid. weld some steel under the front end and hook a light weight plow to it. problem solved. might take longer but i will get sixty five mile to the gallon.

11. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

If it snows a lot you should be raking in alot more money also. If you're charging enough to begin with you should be alright.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  12. packey

packey Member

I do not knwo how much fuel I will use but I figured out what my truck burns an hour under load and made sure my bid covers this. Isn't that how you would normally do it?

13. drumbo

drumbo Member

We use a fuel surcharge for all (mowing/plowing/etc). We impose a 5% charge when fuel goes above $2.749 and again at $3.249 and every $.50 increment thereafter. It was pretty nice to get that added revenue when we sent bills out and I removed charges as fuel adjusted at time of billing.

14. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

Missouri people:dizzy: DRUMBO: how long has it been since fuel has been $2.74? you might as well charge off of $.79 you know fuel will never come lower than that again so i guess you are pretty safe on not having to give a refund:rolleyes:

JAY YOUR RIGHT

we buy fuel by the semi load 9000gal and depending on amount of work will refill several times and we haven't added a "FUEL SURCHARGE" we have raised our rates just a little i think a surcharge looks tacky like you didn't know how to bid a job or expect the materials price inflation NO DISRESPECT directed because everybody does it.

Fuel around here has come down in price but nobody has lifted the SURCHARGE most shipping CO. that charge surcharge is trying to get 1one client to pay for the fuel for the entire trip for the entire load.

For instance the concrete company here in town has raised concrete prices $20yd in the last year but also added a $5yd fuel surcharge and charges you if you take to long to unload the truck, so if a truck holds
    7ydX$5=$35
    $35 will buy 10gal of fuel
    10 gal of fuel will travel that truck 60 miles
    What happened to the fuel money they had figured in to start with?

do the math for your truck, oh and by the way dont forget to figure in the fuel price last year which around here it was more last year than right now "

15. drumbo

drumbo Member

In Hannibal, it has gotten below $2.74 several times over here. Plus, it seems to hold $2.99 forever before $3 so we made it earlier instead of creating it at $3....at least it works over here...

16. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Wasn't fuel prices last winter about where they are now? Fuel was significantly more than $3.00 last winter i believe, maybe $3.30 at one point i think.

The prices are just breaking $3.00 around here right now.