1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas vs. Propane?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Banzo, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Banzo

Banzo Junior Member

Anyone have any thoughts on propaning a truck?

I have a '78 GMC 427 3 ton Dump running on gas right now, and I've seen other guys running their Topkick truck's on propane and I wonder why. Any special advantages to propane other than lower emissions and smaller fuel price fluctuations?

2. WISnowPlower

WISnowPlower Junior Member

We had a 2001 Top Kick with a 502 that ran on propane, the fuel milage was worse than using regular gas and finding a place to re-fuel if we were out of our home area was a challenge, other than that the truck always ran great. It was a former delivery truck that had a reefer on it the also used propane, so I think thats why they decided to go with one fuel for both. Don't really think there are any advantages to running propane

3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Theres a company near my service area that converts and runs propane in all of their trucks. Dont know why-but they're a pretty big player and it must make sense for them. JD may know them better than I.

4. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I had a propane powered Chev S-10 in the mid 80's. At the time there was some sort of sales tax rebate if you converted to propane. Maybe there is still a program like this still going on. I found propane to be too much of a pain. Outside of the city if was sometimes hard to find a filling station and a lot of garages would not work on the truck. When I first got the truck propane was cheap but the price started go up so there was hardly any savings.