1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas vs. electric

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by seein green, Oct 13, 2009.

1. seein green

seein green Junior Member

Doing a little research before I purchase a v box spreader. Wanted some feedback on whether I'd be better off with a dual motor electric spreader or gas powered? 2 cu. yrd. spreader is what I will be buying.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would take electric over gas any day. Two motors is even better.

3. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

I have never had a electric, but i can tell you that those briggs & strattons are a pain in the @$$. my three gas spreaders stay inside a heated garage and they can be a problem to start. I would try a electric or bite the bullet for a central hydraulic.

4. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

Come on. Did you forget Hydraulic systems. quick and low cost. Run many options and change out quickly if your set up right

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I didn't forget, he asked specifically about gas vs. elec. You are the first to refer to central hydros as low cost.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

7. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Electric for sure

If you want to stop spending money on repairs and downtime, switch over to electric. I operator 5 different snowex models and have been using them for six years with no downtime or major repairs. I have only had to replace one vibrator in six years. Other than that one vibrator, you plug them in and they work.

TRY SNOWEX, YOU WILL LOVE IT!

Don't get caught watching your PROFITS melt away!

8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yeah we use all electric "obvious" tailgate spreaders. The boss ones withouit failure

Im looking at two sphe2000 salt dogg 2yard spreaders this year too, all electric.

Ive ONLY considered air flo, salt dogg really

9. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I've used downeaster single motor electrics and loved them, no problems EVER!!! I'm pushing the company to go with air-flo twin motor units for add-ons this year. Used a Highway Super-P (I think) gas engine, what a pain .............

10. stargazer

stargazer Member

You don't say if you are doing dirt roads with salt/sand or pavement with salt. The sudden popularity of electric has a lot to do with the use of pure salt which is spread very lightly compared to sand.

The guys who build them at Downeaster have always told me electric is only good at the speed of a slow walk (with sand).

I purchased a stainless electric (dual motor downeaster) last year, but never bothered to use it. My gas spreaders have always worked well, the motor always starts even at twenty below. Of course, this is Maine so our winters are dry and mild (compared to the north slope :D ). I use briggs and stratton engines. Your sander will turn to rust before you can kill the engine.

It's a small engine. Keep sand out of the gas tank. Use a new gas and air filter each year. Carry a spark plug wrench and spark plugs, and put in a new plug if it doesn't start instantly. I crank the throttle to choke, then hit starter and throttle down 'till the engine catches. Then let it warm up before adding throttle. Mine downeaster gasser is 8 years old and has the original battery, still works perfect. Wish my truck batteries lasted that well. The instant starts prevent the battery from being drained, the primary cause of premature battery death. I've hit the start button accidentaly with my knee and had the engine start right up at zero degrees.

When faced with a mile of road, I don't particularly want to do it at a slow walk, or even a lickety split run. I want to get done and move on. I do slow down on the steep hills and sharp turns. Still considering getting another gasser for this winter. Heck, the downeaster is self contained enough that I could load it on a horse drawn wagon and go out sanding!

11. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Electric without a doubt.

No gas to worry about, no matter how cold, flip the switch and its on.

I fought with gas spreaders for years and would never go back. Electric or Hydraulic for me.

12. procut

procut Senior Member

Electric, much more reliable. Nothing like trying to work on a carburetor, at 2:00 in the morning during a snow storm.