1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas vs. Diesel

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Lawrence Lawns, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Lawrence Lawns

Lawrence Lawns Junior Member
    from PA

This might be a good place to find out what you guys think about gas & diesel Rams. Most of you are in the same business I am- Lawn Care.

I currently run a 2000 Ram 2500 5.9 gas. I pull 20' enclosed trailer. It sucks. I would like to trade for a diesel say, 98-2002 maybe. I don't have any doubt that a Cummins will pull my trailer without a grut, :) but what about the fuel econemy? How does that compare to a 360 gas? Also, does anyone have trouble with diesels when it gets cold? I also want to plow with it.

:gunsfiring: fire away guys. I'm all eyes!!! :eek:

Thanks in advance, Keith

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

THe only problem with it is the diesel weighs a lot more than a gas engine so when you through in a plow it will have a shorter front end life. Dodge started using a stronger and beefier axle in 03 but that will not help you with a 98 to 02. You really want at least a 03 if you want to plow to get their strongest axle up front.

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Before every Tom Dick and Harry start running their mouths about their own opinions, do a search other wise this will turn into romper room just like the chevy/ford thread.

4. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i say get the diesil and enjoy. besides i like romper room ;)

5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

PSD, it looks like you're winning over there too! A couple of those guys think they're god. They know who they are.

6. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

7. Tarkus

You need to chill a bit with comments like this. Not everyone knows that Dodge quietly upgrade axle durring 03 model year to a unit with a much stronger housing and ball joints because of premature wear to front axles with Cummins and plows. (Dodge has been very low key about it so not to admitt there is a problem with earlier ones) This is a fact not fiction or opinion. The new axle is made by AAM and it is stronger than the D60 it replaced especaily in the ball joint areas. It uses the same ring and pinion as GM's 9.25 IFS unit which makes it easy to modify if need be. Just look at the front axle in a 02 or earlier Dodge and a 03 or later and the difference is quite visable. If I was going to plow with a Cummins, this would be the axle I would want under it (The new AAM unit)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  8. dacse

dacse Junior Member

Usually a Diesel gets better mileage (mine gets around 21 on the highway) than a gasoline engine, but unfortunately diesel is about $.20 more per gallon than gasoline right now. So you should take that into consideration too. Also, I buy the anti-gel additive to prevent the fuel from solidifying.

I don't have any problems with it starting in the cold, but I usually keep the oil heater plugged in during the winter.

9. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

To each his own.....I went through this a few months back.....If it's anything other than a CREW go diesel. I wanted a diesel crew cab GMC with a plow package, and no dice. So I got gas. Next time aroung I would probably end up with a Ford SD Crew w/6.0 Diesel ans a plow package. Just my .02

10. MSC

MSC Member

Go with the diesel, if you work with the truck, you will notice the difference.
    Fuel economy, power, longevity.
    Oh, and let's not forget that silly smile on your face.

Once you go diesel, you never go back.

11. Tarkus

If you tow a lot and drive lots of miles to (40k plus a year) a diesel can save you money long term on fuel costs. For plowing, they are no always the best choice for front end weight considerations. As far as life expectance they will both last as long if properly maintained. Diesel have a the rep for better life because most people that have them in their pickups maintain them regularly while some gas owners do not. You change oil regularly in a gas engine it will last just as long too. Maintainance is the key to long life. If you do not maintain a diesel properly, it will die quicker than a gas engine will in same conditions.

12. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Tarkus i'm sorry but there is no way a gas motor is going to last as long as a diesil motor. both taken care of the same the diesil is going to outlast 2-3 times longer. curious anyone know how many miles are on the longest lived gas motor? i'm sure it is nowhere close to longest lived diesil. JM.02

13. Tarkus

I have gotten 250K on a 4 cyl car before I sold it and it still ran great and used less than 1 quart every 3500 miles. I had a friend that used to drive all of his cars well past 300k with original engines and trannies before he considered them worn a bit (he drove about 70 or 80k a year). It is all in the maintainance not the type of fuel is burns these days. I personally have never seen a diesel in a pickup got that far without some expensive injector pump work at the very least. This 2 to 3x longer life is all hipe and little more.

14. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I have to agree with Tarkus.We change our oil every 2500 miles. We use semi syn. oil, mystery oil,and factory oil filter.There is no reason my trucks should'nt last forever.It is preference.Todays gas engines are built to run cooler and last longer than motors built 10yrs ago

15. Tarkus

And the quality of engine oil has improved as well

16. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

No way a gas engine will last as long as a Diesel.
    There are documented million-mile Cummin's Turbo Diesel Dodges out there.
    If you get 400k out of a Gas engine, you're lucky.

400k on a Cummin's and it's still going strong.

Food for thought:
    One of the reasons Diesels last longer is due to less wear. When considering that the average Diesel rarely sees 3500 RPM, and then account for the lower piston speed, and lower ring/bearing wear associated with the lower RPM, there is no way a gas engine can compete. Diesels are built better/stronger, and don't wear consumable parts as fast.

17. Tarkus

There are some million mile gas engines out there too that I have seen documented. (I have read about a few toyota pickups recently and I remeber reading about a VW bug doing it back in the 70's ans there are many more) Also you will never get 400k out of a cummins without a expensive injection system rebuild and or injector replacements and a few times too to hit 1,000,000 mark to so what have you gained and at what cost? No engine really last longer by design per say. Maintaince is the key to long life with any engine.

18. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

Here's my 2 cent and you can take it to the bank. Diesel fuel is more expensive now but three or four months from now it will be twenty cents cheaper. As for gas or diesel that's not even a fair question. DIESEL! But if your thinking gas motors the worst one out there is the 360. That's the biggest turd on the road. Hope I didn't offend anybody! I've had a 360 in a half-ton and I'd get 6 or 7 miles a gallon pulling 3500#. Empty I'd be getting 11. That's a big motor that don't do a damn thing, sounds mean as hell but that' about it.

19. Tarkus

Mopar 360's have never been known for having good fuel efficiency but they have never been really weak power wise though either. (I think the new Hemi is more gutless at low RPM's than the old 360 was) Diesel is always 25 to 30 more a gallon here for about 6 months a year and has been for a long time but this year it peaked out at nearly 50 cents a gallon more than gas a few weeks ago. Right now it is abot 35 cents more.

20. ProSvcs

ProSvcs Junior Member

IMO... One of the major contributing factors to a diesels longevity is the fact that a diesel is lubricated from the top, bottom, and every other direction. I hav an 01 with almost 350,000 and to date I have changed the Turbo, Injectors, Exhaust, and Tranny. I have done all of these changes because I wanted to play after the warranty was over. Nothing has failed on the truck except the ball joints (My Fault). BTW, I go 8000 miles between oil changes and 15000 between fuel filter and tranny fluid changes. Who saya diesels are slow :)

Jim