1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gas vs diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sledrider2005, Sep 4, 2012.

1. sledrider2005

sledrider2005 Member

I have a 2004 crew cab 2500hd with 83000 on it with the 6.0 motor . I have been really looking for a 06-07 LBZ either chevy or gmc . What kinda fuel mileage does that motor get in stock form.What are the pros and cons of diesel vs gas. What for maintanence am i looking at on the diesel . thanks for the help Jarrett
  2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I get at best 16 MPG.This has been hashed here a megagazillion times,just do a search for the skinny.IMHO get the Dmax.
  3. sledrider2005

sledrider2005 Member

My truck is paid off . i hate to have another payment but it could use somethings fixed on it like broken manifold bolts and brake lines rusted to beat hell .
  4. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

diesel cons...

WWWWAAAAAAAAYYYYYY MORE EXPENSIVE TO FIX! oil changes cost double or more than a gas engine, diesel is more. they dont like in town soccer mom driving. all parts are more expensive. wear out tires faster due to heavier weight.

do you "REALLY" need a diesel? i own an auto repair shop. and that is the biggest question. if you "really" need one, i.e.- tons of towing "not just lawn mowers" im talking skids, 10-15k pounds on a trailer heavy. then yes get one. unless you can easily afford it, the "look at me i have a deisel" factor is far outweighed. just ask the guy who spent 4,000 dollars last month to get his truck running again. "failed injectors and o rings in high pressure oil system.

or me, 3k just in parts to put injectors into my dodge.

i haul multiple cars a week, skidloader all over town, and plow a lot of snow. i waited untill i saw i was killing my gas engine truck by overworking it. the engine was worn out, untill i gave in and got a diesel.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

There's a recent thread here covering this. One of the Dodge guys calculated he would need to drive 160k JUST TO BREAK EVEN. And that wasn't allowing for any major repairs like injectors at $3g.
  6. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

what did you do to yours to get 16mpg? i get between 10 and 12mpg and i don't run it hard, pulling a landscape trailer i get around 8mpg. its a 6.0, 4.10 rears.
  7. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Sorry, my mistake. your talking about the Dmax.
  8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

As usual,this is getting off point here,the OP was asking about the LBZ Dmax,NOT just a generic any diesel vs. gas.For what it's worth,different people can put a spin on their math to ''prove'' their point of view just as well as a seasoned politician to make themselves look good.The bottom line is what works for you.
  9. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Theres alot of pros/ cons of each. But the upfront costs associated with a diesel can be justified. Yes a diesel will cost more, but the resale is better. Fuel is more expensive but you get better mileage, its heavier but you can tow more, services are more but they are longer intervals.

But like GSS said, if and when you have repair bills, it will be more expensive. Its just how it goes.

LBZ's dont have the injector issues that the older LB7's had, so i wouldnt worry too much about that (although anything can break, not saying they are bulletproof)

Unless you just want to be cool like everyone else, then ignore all the previous posts and buy one anyways! haha :D