1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas vs. Diesel - again

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Diesel Sniffer, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Diesel Sniffer

Diesel Sniffer Member

I know that this topic has been beat to death, but I want your opinion.

As I'm sure you can tell by my "name" on this site, I'm a huge diesel fan. This has been a very good winter for us this year, and I have been looking at new trucks. With diesel at 4 bucks a gallon, and the new trucks diesel engines and trans options in the area of $7-$9,000 I'm really starting to wonder if diesel is the way to go any more.

Thanks to the EPA with their regulations, and the overall higher price of diesel engine maintenance, I'm not 100% sold on diesel's any more like I have been for so many years. I never thought I would say that, but I can put alot of gas in a truck for 8 grand. Some of the gas engines on the market have very impressive HP and Torque numbers, granted still not in the range of a diesel engine. Opinions?
  2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Diesel is the best hands down.
  3. 54powerwagon

54powerwagon Senior Member

give it time gas will be the same price. we all went nuts when it hit 2 bucks a gallon. then a few weeks at that price we forgot. then it hit 3 bucks and everyone was screaming. but we all just payed it and moved on. well now it's 4 bucks. get a diesel if your going to pay out the a$$ you might as well have what you want. in July you will not even remember paying under 4 bucks a gallon
  4. davink

davink Member

I went back and fourth a couple of years ago when I bought my truck... I went gas, let me tell you if I did it again right now, I would definatly go diesel. No doubt. I do not know what kind of milage you are getting on your diesel, but from people I have spoken too who have them, the $16000 that I have spent on gas (averaged amount) in the past 68000 miles over the last two years, I definatly could have paid for the diesel. Go diesel!!
  5. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I don't plow with diesels, yet. But all my landscape trucks are now diesel.

Did some figuring earlier this week and the new(er) diesel dump I got is going to save me $.15 a mile to run verses the gas one that is for sale right now. Its bigger, stronger, faster, and cooler looking. AND it costs less to drive per mile.

(Based on $3.35/gal gas & $3.95/gal diesel & 7 mpg w/gas truck & 12 mpg w/diesel truck.)

My brother is going to be making Biodiesel this summer. Too bad he lives 450 miles away.
  6. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

diesel is the way to go. take a comparable gas engine. a dodge or ford v-10. fuel mileage 12-13 driving around 8-10 towing. a 7.3 ford diesel is gonna get somewhere around 15 mpg (give or take a little )driving around and 12-14 towing. the diesel has a lot more low end grunt for towing and plowing, the torque doesn't even compare. i've owned both and once you go diesel you'll never go back. later, pete
  7. willofalltrades

willofalltrades Member

A friend of mine is selling his F-350 pictured because he can't stand the $130 fill-ups...

Will's pics 599.jpg