1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas vs central hydro vs electric

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by GMCHD plower, Dec 31, 2009.

1. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys whats your opinions on sanders. Do you really have alot of problems with gas spreaders with proper maitenance? can all spreaders (mostly downeaster) be converted to central hydro? Thanks

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

USE the "search"button....been discussed many times already.

3. D DRUMS LLC

D DRUMS LLC Junior Member

This is were it brought me when i used the search button. To see just what jmchd plower was looking for.

4. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Same happend for me.

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Go hydro if your truck is so equiped, otherwise electric stainless or plastic depending on your volume needs. In my expierience gas engines are nothing but headaches after a couple seasons no matter how well maintained, carbs, cold and wet don't mix, refueling can be messy and hazardous, clutches are another weak point.

6. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

gas engines are a pain.. I bought an electric spreader 4.5 yard 2 years ago and so far so good. I also have a hydro speader hooked up to one my trucks that also works nice

7. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

SOPS,

What brand 4.5 Yd electric did you find, I looked and I couldn't find one that large. If you don't mind and you're somewhere reasonably close to NJ a dealer name would be great............Thanks

8. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

I bought a smith spreader.. I have a thread with some pictures of it on here. I bought it from cliffside in jersey

9. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Had a Western 8' v box for years that was almost trouble free. I have heard a lot of people that have had problems with the gas engine models. For me I wouldn't buy a spreader for a truck unless it was steel, gas engine, and chain driven.