1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas V Boxes

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by John_DeereGreen, Jan 10, 2017.

1. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen 2000 Club Member

Ok, I'm looking for suggestions on gas powered v box spreaders in the 2 ish yard range. We've got just about every brand known to man within an hour's drive.

What do you have, what works, and what doesn't? Buyers seems to be the cheapest, but I'm not exactly impressed with their electric units. However, we have a hydro undergate on our dump that has spread a couple hundred tons so far this season and done it perfectly. Any other brands to look at?

No, I'm not interested in anything having to do with electric spreaders.

2. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I was going to tell you to look at the boss VBX 8000 until i seen that last sentence. Sounds like youve made your mind up! haha but i will say i love mine, it is the best electric spreader out there i think...

Other than that, I have heard good things of them smith spreaders. Everyone around here that has a gasser has a smith spreader.

3. John_DeereGreen

We've got VBX's. And salt mutts. They're too slow and don't spread wide enough. It'll be a good day when we have nothing but hydro. A couple pickup spreaders are handy though.

4. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

yeah, I would never put a electric on a dump.
    I always say as soon as i get a dump, i'll be buying one of the smith spreaders. but for now vbx and salt mutt. salt mutt already went through one spinner assembly.
    have or heard of the smith spreaders?

5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Veteran

Are you looking at new only?

6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Western striker hands down! Even consider the electric as I have nothing but good things to say about my 4.5 yard striker... I can only imagine the gas version would be just as good...

Boss vbx is okay at best, almost unservicable without tearing the whole thing apart for 45 minutes just to grease a simple bearing, electric dump switch in the back screws up after 1 season, decent spread pattern and super nice controller but weak motors that jam up if salt is left in... none of those problems exist with a stiker spreader!

Definitely take a look at one!

7. John_DeereGreen

Used is an option, long as it's not worn out junk.

I'm not sure I can bring myself to buy anything Douglas Dynamics, and there is no way in hell I'll buy more electric. Have you ever used a hydraulic spreader Chad? How many ton have you run through your striker?

8. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

To bad you live so far away I got a nice Monroe hydro it will hold all of 3yrds. I would sell you for 2k complete. I don't have it for sale really I got another truck for it. The problem is you almost got to dedicate a truck to it. It could be taken off it's just a lot of work for me anyways. It will throw, Specially if your on the gas a little.. LOL

I just bought a smith electric, They are manufactured 13 miles from me.

9. John_DeereGreen

Pm me your phone number, we might be able to work something out on another deal I'm looking for

10. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

The Buyers Salt Dogg is decent, VERY quiet, Stainless Steel has been great. Like anything they have their qwerks? Controller is basic for a gas spreader and cheap to rebuild if necessary. Qwerks? The bearing for the spinner shaft has to be completely washed off. They hold salt on top of them unless you remove the dummy plate. This will allow you to wash them off at the end of the season. Dummy plate keeps you from sticking your fingers in the sprocket and chain. But for the money, they are worth it. Wouldn't buy anything gas powered unless it had a Briggs or Honda.

11. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Why not electric??...I have heard nothing but positive reviews on the Meyers Brand...Thumbs Up

LapeerLandscape, BUFF and Mark Oomkes like this.
  12. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I like electric if I can't have hydro, I will admit the gas do throw better, They are just a PITA sometime getting started. JMO

13. John_DeereGreen

I only had positive things to say about electric spreaders. Before I realized how much more productive the alternatives are.

Kubota, how many tons have you run through yours and what issues have you had? As always the Buyers price point interests me but scares me at once.

Anyone run any Ace Torwell stuff? They've got a gas engine hydraulic unit, I'm almost scared to know how much it is though.

14. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I think I have had it about 5 years? So maybe 150+ tons. Not 1 problem or issue other than the dummy shield that I thought was welded on, only to find out later where it was bolted on. If I had of known it was removable I could have washed off the spinner shaft bearings better before I put it away for the summer. I was able to free the stuck spinner bearings after some work on it. I am always faithful with greasing the money maker and always greased the spinner shaft bearings but if they are not washed clean, salt lays atop of them all summer. I have had 4 gas powered spreaders over 30 years roughly. Flink, Western and Buyers. Buyers was the first S/S model and will never look back. The Buyers is so smooth and quiet I have forgotten it was running and GROUND the starter trying to get it started only to figure out it was already running. Just normal maintenance, nothing other than that. For the money, for a gas powered spreader, they cant be beat. Would not hesitate to purchase another. I do think my Westerns had a little better spread pattern? The Buyers seems to be a little heavier to the passenger side no matter how it it adjusted.

15. leigh

leigh 2000 Club Member
    from CT

I had a fisher ss procaster,that thing would throw some salt.No problems with the actual salter,just the usual gas engine problems. Replaced that with an utg electric and never looked back! Being able to load up 5 tons plus offsets any downsides.

16. alfman

alfman Member

The buyers stainless gas job is a decent unit we have had many over the years, their municipal series is much better built though. Better built and heavier duty.
    For the money in that size I would recommend an airflo gas then the buyers unit. The airflo is a little thicker stainless and quality control seems better. They both are almost identical in design.
    I would not recommend Swenson/Meyer spreaders. They have poly couplers that do not last half a season so we are constantly watching and replacing them. Also stay away from their wireless controller. Sounds like a nice idea but we didn't even get a season out of it till we had problems and hard wired a control box in.

On all the gas jobs I have owned the Briggs seem to be the most reliable motor. The carb/linkage area is easily accessible to keep fluid filmed and adjusted, unlike the hondas. Plus parts (starters etc) are much cheaper and easier to find.

I currently run a 5 yd salt dog municipal unit, a 4.5 yd Meyers/ Swenson, and a 2 yd air Flo. If you have any questions or want to try out my spreaders just let me know.

17. John_DeereGreen

Right now it's Airflo, Buyers, Monroe or Ace Torwell.

Calling for the scoop on the Torwell tomorrow if they're open.

That's extremely tempting since you're so close. Airflo is one of the ones on the top of my list simply because the dealer we buy all our Boss stuff from sells them. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same one you use.

I need to run over your way this week sometime anyway. Pm me your phone number or you can text me. 3302017701

18. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

He makes a good point; the mid sized Salt Doggs are great. We had a 4.5 yd /10 ft and 4 yd /9ft for a couple years and they were great units. The large 8 yd units we have now are fantastic too.

19. John_DeereGreen

Do you still have the one you had listed for sale a few weeks back or did it go down the road when your new 4300's were ready?

This one would be a pickup size is the only thing, and I'm pretty sure the municipal style start at like 4 yards. Anything I would have that size will be hydro, no question.

I have no complaints with our hydro under tailgate salt dogg. It's spread at least 250 tons this year. Parts are cheap compared to other options on the market with Buyers too. And we have an outstanding Buyers/salt dogg dealer close.

20. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Still have it. It's a 10 ft unit but based on the smaller units, like the normal 8ft units the smaller sized series before you jump to the midsized line.