1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Type

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by FisheRam, Jan 26, 2012.

1. FisheRam

FisheRam Member

What type of gas are you guys using with these Hemis? In the owners manual it says to use plus fuel (89 Octane), but that regular (87) is acceptable. I have been using plus since I bought it, but could save a bit of money over time by making the switch. What do you guys think?

I was also very surprised by the 6 month / 8K mile oil change intervals. I know oil has improved over the years but that quite the jump up from the 3 month, 3000 mile suggestion on these engines just a few years ago.

Thanks for any replies!!
  2. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Yes I wait until the dash tells me to change the oil and my hemi was running rough with the engine light on. I put premium fuel in it, (first time) light is off (for now??????????) and it runs better.
  3. FisheRam

FisheRam Member

wow since you actually felt a difference I guess the fuel type really does matter.

I did read somewhere that the truck gauges your type of driving (city vs highway) to determine when the turn the oil light on. I'll do the same with my oil changes.
  4. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I use regular in both my hemis. if the price was cheaper id use mid grade.

as for the oil changes, i go strictly 4,500 miles for every oil change. especially with the plowing and towing and hauling my trucks do, I wouldnt go any further than that. AND i use mobil 1 in the pickup.
  5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

What year(s) are your trucks? Just curious. Mine is an 04 so I doubt I have the same technology. I normally run the cheap gas since these engines get terrible economy anyways. As far as the oil, I go around 3500 miles and use Valvoline religiously. I've been toying with the idea of going with Amsoil. I ran it in my old truck and I had samples taken every few thousand miles. I ended up with over 12000 miles on that oil change. The Amsoil tech guys said just spin on a new filter, top it off and keep on going. Sold that truck befits I changed the oil again. I thought that Amsoil worked great but I never plowed with that truck and I don't know anyone who uses it in anything other than a daily driver. Any thoughts?
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

We use Amsoil in everything, change oil every 15,000 miles.

Change oil in all of the equipment 2 times / year, roughly every 500 hours.
  7. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

keep a log of mileage for a few tanks with the premium and then for a few tanks with regular. I find that it is actually cheaper for me to run premium since I get better fuel mileage. in my 89 I get 9mpg with cheap fuel and 12 with premium, with the old S10 I get 16 with cheap fuel and 21 with premium, and in mommas Kia she gets 26 with cheap fuel and 32 with premium.
  8. FisheRam

FisheRam Member

peteo1, my Ram is a 2012, but I also sometimes drive a 2006, and the technology as well as the owners manuals (maintenance schedules) have changed.

uglytruck, that's actually a great idea! That would make using the better fuel totally worth it. I filled up again last night with 89. I think I'll just try to stick with what I broke her in with.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic