1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gas to electric V-box spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by billyd, Dec 9, 2014.

1. billyd

billyd Member

After numerous issues with our 2 gas spreaders we looking to do a swap. We currently have 3 spreader 1 being a Smith electric (no issues) and a downeaster, & fisher. I been looking online for a conversion kit with no such luck. Anyone ever done the conversion.?
  2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I don't think you will find a kit. Probably some write ups. I have done a few.

1/2-3/4hp motor
    small sprocket for motor that matches chain
    tear out motor and all the wiring.
    run 8-10 gauge wire and a switch (you could probably buy a wiring harness and make it work)

Some people leave the clutch and wire it to go on. I remove it so that often means an additional sprocket shaft and bearings.

There are calculators online that allow you to enter sprocket sizes to match speed. Electric motors usually run 1800rpm no load.
  3. PWW

PWW Junior Member

I did one it was easy. You will also need a 100% solenoid and number 8-10 is not heavy enough for a motor that is around 60 amps. I left the clutch on on mine to lower the starting amps. Basically there is no load on the motor for a half second. I used a daton motor because my grainger rep got me a smokin deal on it but the lesson ones list cheaper. As for the sprocket you don't need a online fancy thing just divide the drive by the driven a gas full throttle will be 3600 rpm 90% of electric motors and all the large DC ones I found are 1800. That is the one mistake I made when doing mine it went to slow. I changed the sprocket on the motor and it was fine. I may have a few pictures I can email you if you would like.