1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gas tanks are leaking !!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by baddboygeorge, Jan 1, 2003.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

both of my tanks are leaking an they need replaced . one is emptied an one is half full if i do one at a time is ther anyway that the half full one will pour out when i disconnect the empty one an how hard of a job is this please help thanks george by the way this truck is a 1990 f250 diesel 7.3 4x4 thanks

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The two tanks are linked at the selector valve, one should not drain the other.

Replacement is straight forward, unhook the fill hose, unbolt the support straps and lower the tank. The fuel pump and sending unit are held by a retainer ring, use a flat punch to tap it counter clockwise to release. Do the empty tank first, then siphon as much fuel out of the other, or run it dry to replace it.

Try American Designers for your tanks, they are much cheaper than the dealer and you'll have them in about 3 days. A hint: they give a considerable discount to commercial operations. Thay also have the mounting straps which are usually shot too, plus new retainer rings and gaskets for the pump.

3. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

George,

Just had to drain my rear gas tank so heres a suggestion. Get one of those three dollar Kerosene pumps and a section of clear vinyl hose to fit over it to reach into the bottom of the tank. You pump that little nozzle half a dozen times and keep your gas can below the level of the tank and youll be drained in no time. Worked great for me, now i just gotta get the tank fixed.

4. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

I had to replace a few Ford tanks last year.. WHy.. WHy cant they make polyethelene replacement tanks for these things... The steel doesnot seem to hold up for our application... Lost the rear tank in a 95 F250 and the Front and Rear in an 85 150 .. Not fun... They were pretty stratigt forward to replace,, Just watch those electrical connections on top of the tank , I broke one, and now dont know how much fuel is in that tank..LOL... Got to get an new connector one of these days..

5. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

WHere to get tanks .. I got mine from a local radiatior shop... How did I know this , well in additon to replaceing the fuel tanks I had to replace the radiators in both trucks last year too... Ughh.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

When using a punch or drift to remove the sending unit lock ring,make sure it is made of BRASS.DON'T use steel punches as they may create a spark,and we all know sparks and fuel don't mix.If the ring is really stubborn just bend and pry it off,and get a new one,as they are dirt cheap.

7. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Poly Replacement Fuel Tanks

George when ever possible replace with with a "poly" tank. Then you wouldn't be doing the job over in a few years! E-mail me if you would like replacement tank info. :rolleyes: John

8. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I've replaced the rear tank in every Ford pickup I've ever owned! If Ford used plastic tanks the Crown Victoria problem would not exist. The 91-96 Caprice used a plastic tank. We never had to replace any in the NYPD RMPs. We dragged a burned 94 Caprice out of Ground Zero. The car was burnt to a crisp but the plastic tank was intact! I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it.

9. smokey

smokey Member
    from indy

I've replaced my '93 150 tanks. Its not very hard at all. I got a replacement steel tank at autozone for $100 and then sprayed it with undercoating to help it last longer. JCWHITNEY has poly tanks for about $130

10. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Smokey, thanks for the reply. I've become proficient at rear tank replacement. I'm going to look into the poly tank because the rear tank is leaking in my 93 F150.

f150front.jpg