1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gas tank

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by clark lawn, Dec 13, 2010.

1. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i have a 97 f350 that currently has a 19 gallon front gas tank that has a small leak. i got a 16 gallon given to me. they offer both in my truck so can i put the 16 gallon tank in there? i know i need new straps but will the 16 mount up were the 19 was?

2. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

yes it should be fine. You would just need straps as you already know. Good luck

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

If it was me I would get gas tank from F450 or Bronco they have BIG tank like 35 gallons.

4. thatlittleguy?

thatlittleguy? Member

The 16 gallon WILL NOT work. The trucks that have the smaller tank came with an additional frame crossmember that the strap hangs from. The trucks with the 19 gallon tank do not have this crossmember, they are longer and strap up under the cab mount. I know this because I have two 95 f350's one with the 16 and one with the 19.

5. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

Me and a buddy swapped out a gas tank on his truck and it was smaller and fit, just needed new straps. I assumed it was a 16 gallon because it was smaller?

6. thatlittleguy?

thatlittleguy? Member

maybe some of the 19 gallon trucks came with that additional crossmember as well. If that's the case then the new straps would do it. I guess his best option would be to get under the truck and see if there is a crossmember in-between the cab and the one that currently holds up the rear section of the tank. If so you're good. Otherwise he'd have to fab something up to hold the new front strap.