1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gas tank removal

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blublzr, Feb 23, 2005.

1. blublzr

blublzr Member

i have a 99 silverado(new bodystile) x-tended cab 8ft bed. if i want to replace the gas tank and all its associated parts , what is the easiest way to do it. one person i talked to suggested removing the bed.

wil

2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

We raise the beds to replace fuel pumps on these all the time. For tank removal I would pull it from the bottom. :D

3. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

I always remove the tanks from the bottom, no need to lift the bed if you're going to pull the whole tank. If you have access to a lift, that will save you some time. Basically you just have to disconnect the wiring and lines, remove the shield, take out the bolts that hold the straps up, drop it about 6" to access the lines you couldn't reach before, and drop the tank. It's sometimes easier to pull the driveshaft for more clearance, just don't forget to set the parking brake!