1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas tank/bedside problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by eamims, Oct 1, 2002.

1. eamims

eamims Junior Member

Maybe someone can help me. I am almost finished fixing up my 1977 Bonanza longbed. I had to replace the right side bedside (with gas hole). Well the part I received had the hole about 2 inches too high and 2 inches towards the cab. Now the filler pipe will not line up. I called and LMC said they checked their stock and see nothing with the measurements I need. What gives? Is there a different filler pipe I can get or do I need to cut the bed up? (The hump in the bed would have to be about 2 inches towards to cab and also a little bigger).

Anyone see this problem before?? Thanks!

~~Eric

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

If you loosen the straps holding the fuel tank in, you can slide the tank front to back quite a bit. As far as you filler hose not being long enough, you can cut it in the middle where it is straight, and insert a piece of brass drainpipe (I suggest 5 or 6" long). Use 2 radiator hose clamps, and you are all set. I can't remember if I used 1.25" or 1.5" drainpipe. When you cut the hose in half, measure the diameter.

I changed my fuel tank in my 80 GMC, and had trouble with the hose being too short. I used a piece of brass drain and 2 clamps. When I installed the tank, I left the clamps loose until I aligned the tank with the filler door.

Hope it helps.

~Chuck

3. eamims

eamims Junior Member

It's not particularly too short. The metal filler hose cannot make it far enough towards the cab or high enough to line up because it hits the bed. When I look through the round cutout on the new bedside panel I see about half of the fuel opening that's at the end of the filler hose. Hope this makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

4. SQRLY1

SQRLY1 Junior Member

If you can't move the tank, your best bet is to go hunting the wrecking yards for a filler neck that bolts the the inside of the fender. I'm assuming you could could do the body work to move the hole yourself so, it would be less hassle installing the new neck and cutting the old one on the tank and connecting them with a stock rubber fuel hose.

5. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Seems like I have had to screw a couple little tabs in there to drop things down a bit.
    It's been a while but I think thats what I had to do to make things line up.
    Good luck,
    Mark K

6. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

GAS TANK FILLER MODIFICATIONS

Be particularly careful before you decide to modify a gas tank filler line. A correct filler line is a safety device designed to prevent the spillage of gasoline in the event of an accident or rollover as well as a preventative blocker for static electricity. By adding hard structure (like a brass pipe) where the engineers did not envision one, you are changing the charecteristics of this safety system. The collapse rate of brass is far different than fuel line hose. Brass + steel hose clamps are also electrical conductors, something a rubber fuel hose is not. Clamps must be positioned carefully so as to not contact any metallic parts, be it tank, line, or body parts.

This simple act requires alot more thought, a GM parts book for your year truck and a visit to the dealer for the correct parts. This can be a very dangerous issue. I hope you consider these factors too.

7. eamims

eamims Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to try to cut and bend the edge of the bed up and hammer the 'hump' to make it larger. I don't think any modification to the tank or filler pipe is going to help without also modifying the bed slightly, so I'm going to try that approach first and see if it requires more. Thanks for the heads up about the dangers of filler pipe modification.

~~Eric

8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Tommy10plows,

I wouldn't be too awfull concerned about the saddle tank safety issues! Afterall, they're responsible for many deaths without any modifications!!!

Dont know much about why the filler hole is positioned wrong, but on my '76, I had to weld in the recessed filler mount to the pass side, as it came smooth.

9. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Keep in mind any truck with a body lift has an extension in the fuel filler line..... usually steel pipe.

I'm with TLS on this one.

~Chuck