1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Stations

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 10elawncare, Jan 22, 2009.

1. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

Does anyone here have any experience with doing gas stations? I've been in contact with a management company regarding a few stations in the area. Are they a PITA with all the fill-up covers and pumps. I'm not too concerned with the payment side of it, I know I won't be seeing money the day after the storm. More curious about how you plow around the covers that come out of the ground.

Are they worth the time & money, are they just too big of a PITA to do?

Thanks in advance!!

2. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I did a couple of gas stations years back and man what a PITA they were only did them cuz I charged them good and they paid cash on the spot once the job was done I walked in to get paid

Also customers filling up in and out dont care if you are plowing or not they always would get in my way :realmad:

I would use shoes to avoid any damage to the fuel filler covers

3. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

I own a service station when its closed plowing isnt a big deal but when theres traffic it sucks .. my biggest PITA are the tank fill covers the plow pops em off and if you dont know it then you bury them in the snow pile.. so what we do now is if we know snow is coming with put orange cones on the covers so we can find them then just hand shovel em and plow around.

4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Steer clear they suck. We plow holidays that are 24/7 and some that close. You go and no one is there or employee only and drop blade and its like a calling to all people in the area. They come out of nowhere. I really hate them. People do not understand that you are there to make their life a better. They don't understand what amber lights mean.

5. 10elawncare

That was pretty funny....

6. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Sadley its the truth. I'll try to remember to grab vid camera for next snow and post a video of it.

7. 10elawncare

Well thanks for the input everybody. Kind of just confirmed what I thought lol. I had a good feeling that with cars there it would be impossible to do anything but thought I'd get some other opinions. Just hate to turn down so much work.

Here's a picture of one of the stations, one of the busiest too. Not open 24 hours but usually open till midnight.

untitled.JPG

8. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

We've done Qwik-Trips and Speedway gas stations. They are all ********!!!
    Tank covers are the worst. The lazy fuel delivery guys WILL NOT shovel anything to deliver fuel-they will call and be a PITA if there's any snow in their way. The covers themselves are hard on plows unless u want to backdrag over all of them. I've flipped one off and sent it flying. Also, they usually have cement aprons around the fill areas and the asphalt always settles and u catch your plow on that too. Around the pumps: There's a cement apron that always has a lip on it to catch your blade and destroy it.
    The customers don't care, they'll pull in a spot rite as your trying to make a swipe to clear that area b/c they've gotta have their pack of cigs.!! They'll pull into a pump immediatley behind u to fill up even though your not done with that space yet. You spend more time coming back to spots to finish plowing than anything.
    The stations want service but they'll shop every contractor in town for the best price and then pay slooooow. Pretty amazing for an industry that posted record profits for the past 3 years!
    I will be hard pressed to ever take on another gas station!...just not worth it.:mad:

9. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Tank covers are the worst. The lazy fuel delivery guys WILL NOT shovel anything to deliver fuel-they will call and be a PITA if there's any snow in their way.

Forgot about that part. The fuel guys have asked us to stop plowing in the middle of the lot before so they can fuel the tanks.(Not that I care that much i am paid by the hour. They think the sparks might ignight. I can buy this as a firefighter. But I was here first you wait. Oh you can't because of time well I can't either i have other accounts to go to as well.

10. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Same here, pylons are a great idea, but the job is a hassle ,

11. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

I plow eight of them. The tank covers like everyone says are a PITA. We go out the night before a put a bunch of salt down then mark the area with cones. Once all of them are done we go back in and shovel out around them. People are such idiots they have to fill up in the area you are plowing cant go anywhere else. There may be 4 entrance into the place and they just have to use the one you are trying to clean up. Had a lady this last storm pull up right beside me while back dragging the entrace with the skid loader, didnt see her and I started sliding and almost hit her. Gas stations suck

12. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Run away! Run away!
    Just my .02.

James

13. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I do 9 stations and yes they are a pain at times but it pays very well. Its all about taking your time and knowing where the lids are.

14. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I remeber one time at a Holiday at 3 or so in the morning some lady in a lexus pinned me in between the clerks car at the first pum and the third pump. 20 pums to chose from no one insight and she has to chose the one behind me pinning me in. I asked nicely if she could go to another pump that had been plowed out and she refused to move. Then I asked if she understood what an amber light on top and strobes meant and she said that she is a paying custumer and could do as she pleased and wanted to talk to the boss I said here you go I'm on the phone with him. She was not so happy when he got done with her.

15. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

I have a few gas stations to plow. Next year, I will refuse to do them. Too many customers parking in front of the trucks everytime. Too many idiots pulling up behind them, while they are backing up. I plow right over the top of the covers. Once in a while a cover will come out and I'll have to find it in a snowbank. It's usually no problem to plow over the covers though, plow slides right over them. The worst part of plowing gas stations, is the owner or owners will always mention they can get someone to plow the lot for a cup of coffee. A gas station I plow, the owner is moving away next year, back to Switzerland, and his brother will take care of the business. This guy told me, when he owns the business after his brother moves back to Switzerland, he's going to shovel the parking lot to save money.

I have a contract with them saying I'm not responsible for any slip or falls. They never want it sanded or salted, and they only want it plowed if it's 3 inches or more.

16. 10elawncare

Well Thank You for all the input everybody! Its much appreciated!!

17. ksgcapecod

ksgcapecod Member

I do a gas station on Main Street in my town. I have not had any problems (knock on wood) with covers flying off. We plow very slowly over them. They kind of have an angle to them so the plow will go up and over if you go slow. Sure, anytime any business is open it's a pain with people getting in the way. But I can go in the gas station the next day and she pays cash.

18. have to be carefull going over them even slowly. They can break off under the ground, Its like 7 garnd to repair

19. 10elawncare

Well I got a call from a Dr's office today for a quote so I will probably pass on the gas stations. I will be making just about the same at the doctor and it will be easier. And they do not have a 60 day payment period.

20. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

Pump the price way up on the gas stations. Offer them a good price to sand and salt after the storm. They will end up hiring someone who doesn't know any better and you can put-put around the lot after the storm and make more.