1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Stations.

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by power plower., Dec 6, 2007.

1. power plower.

power plower. Junior Member

What should I bid for 6 gas stations plus their corporate office in central michigan.

The stations are standard size, 6-12 pumps. Probably 150'x150'. Includes all walks and the whole bit. I have done mostly resid and some commer but never anything like this.

The office has around 35 parking spots, with a decent size walk.

Would I need to worry about the gas tank caps coming up with the blade?

How much salt will I need and how much shall I charge?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

ive never done a gas station but from what i read on here there a pita.

3. karol

karol Senior Member

gas stations

Price them low if you want to get them. There cheap. I'd stay away from them.

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I plow our gas station and I hate it. if you dont lift the blade over the fill caps, you'll knock them right off, and they go for around $200 ea. Lucky for me, we don't open till 6, so I don't have to worry about cars, but a 24hr station has to be worse.

Bid high. unless of course you really want them

5. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

3 slurpies from Apooh....

6. power plower.

sounds like im in for a helluva good season ehh?:realmad:

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree. I have bid some right beside the mall I'm doing and I'm like 3 times too expensive!

8. power plower.

im guessing a PITA is not a great tasting bread envelope that is filled with meats and cheeses???

9. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Bid high they are a pita. I am surprised they didn't have a contract months ago. Most commercial stuff is signed in the Fall.

10. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Your right it's not the bread, i have only one and like it was stated they are very cheep the one I do only has 6 pumps opens at 6 AM it;s about 75x75 lot and i had a hard time getting $60.for a 1-3 and $75 for 4-7 and up from there, anyway the owner asked if i would drop the price a little and i said sure if could come and fill up my trucks for $1.00 less per gallon of gas every time i came in and he said he could not do that, so he settled for the prices i gave him.

11. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

If you do them, give yourself alot of time. All the idiots show up to the station in the snow and they are always in your way. Did them 2 yrs ago and will never bid one again.

good Luck,'James

12. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

Talk to your insurance co. before you bid. You might just crap your pants!

13. power plower.

I think I am going to bid it high. So if i do get it I can spend extra time and not get screwed.payup

14. big acres

big acres Senior Member

I gotta laugh...

We bid on a chain of gas stations here in the Twin Cities...and lost out to a bigger company, which is just fine by me. After our routes were done, I was fueling up watching the rookie subs plow at about 1/3 speed and stopping every two minutes for the idots in cars. Bid 2-3 times what it would take you to do the same size lot if it were vacant!

I will avoid plowing these like the plague because the liability is huge. Every sue-happy moron has to gas up and you are a great target.. Last year, an idiot in a car hit one of our guys on a lawnmower, yup... a Z crossing the lot -then he turned around and told his insurance company that our Z ran into his PARKED car while he was in the store. WTF?

15. michaelt1323

michaelt1323 Junior Member

Most around me are not AMERICAN owned, and they will wait until the snow has stopped before they will hire a "low-baller". NONE will sign a contract as they know there is a lot of trucks driving around trying to make $50 dollars. I found that they are not as easy as a parking lot, but as long as you know where the caps are in the ground they are not the worst thing to plow. Most are standard size and take 30 to 45 minutes to plow at night, and add 30 minutes if you do it during daylight hours (traffic). Most will not pay for De-icing agent and as I said they will wait until the snow fall ends. I finish my contract lots first, than on my way home I will stop at the gas stations to see if I can plow it. I'll tell them $175 knowing they won't do it, they counter with $50. We than wiggle the price down, usually they won't move much. In the end if I can't do it for $125, I drive away. This takes about 30 seconds of my time and if I get it great, if not, oh well. I'd rather drive away than risk damage to my truck and plow for pennies on the dollar!

16. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Michaelt1323

In as much as I hate to categorize people, I can say that in my own experience, the gas station owners where you are very much like the independents here. I have been in sales for many years, and in several industries, and it ALWAYS comes down to PRICE with them. 99.9% of sales calls to this type of person wind up as time completely wasted, or a sale made at a sub-par profit.

The reason they won't put anything in writing is because it will make harder for them to claim that you "misunderstood" the terms, and had actually agreed to the lower price. This is the game they play. Some may view this response as "discrimination", but I am entitled to my OPINION. I prefer not to waste my time and I do not discriminate -I just do not pursue or price myself out politely.

PS. The one good thing is that if you do go after them, they usually pay in CASH. Hmmm... I wonder how much of that cash is reported before it makes its way back to the holyland... JUST MORE OPINION HERE -SORRY FOIR THE RANT!

17. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

I did one gas station several years ago, royal pita, cars racing in and out, trying to cut off the moving plow so they could get to the pump 10 seconds faster. Then in the middle of the season they stopped me as I pulled in to plow and told me not to because they had hired someone else to do it for half of my price. I told them thank you, because I was looking for a way to get out of doing their place. The next day the low-baller destroyed two of the pumps, the only diesel and kerosene pumps in the place!!! They called me asking me to come back and I told them I would never again do their lot.

18. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Id stay home before i would plow gas stations!

prsport

:nono:

19. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

I nuke all the covers before,during and after. Its the only way to keep em clean.Then a laborer manually cleans them with yep you guessed it. A shovel. Get a decent light bar while your at it. them people sneak up on you quick. If Im going to be there a while i caution tape all openings., then do my thing.The owner doesnt mind.

20. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I have plowed some gas stations for a few years now. They are a pain during the day because everyone always wants to come and go in the same entrance your plowing. Why they can't use the one I have already plowed is beyond me. Just be careful of the lids. I always back blade over them and have never ripped one up.