1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Stations

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by New School, Nov 1, 2006.

Has insurance got to high for gas stations and Banks

Poll closed Nov 6, 2006.
  1. yes and why

2. no and why

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. New School

New School Junior Member

Is it worth the liability, to plow gas stations
  2. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Can't stand to plow them, we drop our last gas station like 2 years ago. notyhing to with liabitly, just a pain in the ass. wiht phone calls and constant traffice.
  3. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

Interesting. Did you salt them as well or just plow?
  4. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

I do both. First, anytime you can make money plowing snow is worth it. Banks, at least mine want everything clear all the time which requires alot of extra work but they pay for that service. Gas stations/convenience stores are mostly open 24hrs so they to get more attention and are charged more.
    As far as insurance for commercial plowing, I do not get charged "extra " for plowing them.
  5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I will second what Bruce's Ex just said. I did them one year and will never do them again. They are a Pain in the A**.

Regards Mike
  6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I don't think I'd ever take on another gas station unless it was double-priced. I did a Sunoco station in Niagara Falls and what a nightmare! They didn't want salt but with all the different slopes etc. it was impossible to make a clean scrape no matter what... missing caps from the fill holes leads to accusations of plowing them into the snowbanks, but funny they were never able to be found even when it melted (land lord eventually told me they get stolen regularly, not to worry)... oh and calling me in a panic because the garbage dumpster guys couldn't get the gate open to reach the bin because 'someone' plowed snow up against the door.... so I leave work, head home, swap trucks and make a beeline there to figure out what is going on, only to find out that no one piled snow anywhere near the gate, what the garbage men are complaining about was a 4" wide strip of unplowed snow (2-3" deep maybe?) and they never even tried to open the gate, never even got out of the truck most likely. Obviously we don't push the blade against the gate! And since Sunoco does their own handwork, it wasn't my responsibility either! Needless to say, my 'contact' at head office got a phone call back from me in a very bad mood!

Dropped them after one season, won't go back.

I'd avoid gas stations like the plague unless they want to work by your rules.
  7. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

There cames times that cause they didn't want salt we never got a clean push, then they would call for salt thinking we would plow it again. sure we would, but we charged them extra everytime. Their own fault for not wanting to put down salt on such a busy lot. and epecting a perfectly clean plow.
  8. Grass_n_Trees

Grass_n_Trees Junior Member

I just took on a gas station.. u lads are scaring me.... I figure it's a cash cow. close to me and billed every push plus it's a new lot that's fairly level.
  9. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

My family owns one, so I don't have a choice, but they suck. Its almost like people find where you havent plowed, and park there. They pay no attention to you. And you always hit the stupid fill caps, don't lose them, because they're $250/ea.
  10. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

they are difficult, no lies there, but they can be very rewarding if you have the right guy plowing it for you.
  11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Never had a problem with them.And I'd get free coffee every time.
  12. redman6565

and most of the larger ones are open 24-hours, which means more service calls
  13. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Plow 8 of them just got rid of a bad cheap ass one but the big name ones are good money.
  14. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Thats because Abdullahi wanted to save money, lol.
  15. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Don't let the fellas scare you.

I plow one and have no problem with it.

Only do them if they will take salt though.
  17. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

i did do gas stations and yes they are a pain in the azz this place had me under contract and one storm he had a guy plow it for his gas needless to say this guy ****** it up he called me to plow it 12 hrs later when it was snow,sleet,rain i went looked at it laughed my azz off and told him to get that guy back to fix it or pay me to get a loader i gave the price he said no i left :laughing::laughing:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2009
  18. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

PS . head :dizzy:
  19. Comet

Comet Senior Member

My cousin has been doing 6 Hess stations now for 15 years, this year he picked up an another 2
    Hes real careful when he does them
  20. redman6565

they're the most profitable lots i plow