1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas stations.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowinjoe, Jan 15, 2005.

1. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

Does any one else have a problem with the lids to the underground tanks? Are there any tricks to not pulling them off? I hate having to search thru a windrow to find them.
  2. Soans89

Soans89 Junior Member

I don't have any advice to give, but have you really pulled them off before just by plowing over them? I thought they were at least bolted down or something.
  3. DJC

DJC Senior Member

4. snowpusher 03

snowpusher 03 Junior Member

i have 6 esso gas stations and i put cones over them and my shovlers do the rest .
  5. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

I've been pushing Gas stations for yrs and never had a lid come off.The only advise I can you is slow down in the fueling areas or shovel them out...
  6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I angle my blade it goes right over them. Never had one come off.
  7. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

I've popped a lid or two off. This is accompanied by a sudden stop and the phone flies out of the cradle and the thermos rolls under the seat, etc. Angling the blade hasn't seemed to help in this case, but since I only have one gas station customer, I just live with it.
    On the other hand, one of the newspapers that I do has railroad tracks in the asphalt paving of the back parking lot that don't move when I hit them either. No way around them so I just windrow up to them and then move it down the tracks to a pile. Maybe something like that might work in your case.
  8. mickman

mickman Senior Member

I've never done them, but for an idea, maybe try to put down some ice melt
    over lids {heavy, & use potash or something maybe other than plain salt}
    then it might keep em' wet. it's just an idea, but it might work if it's not coming down @ a 2-3" clip/hr.