1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gas stations

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by karl klein, Feb 11, 2001.

1. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i live in omaha nebraska and was wondering if any of you plow gas stations? and how you charge, and a fair price.
    what is a good way to give a estimate on fast food restraunts by seoson and inch

thank you
  2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

It's pretty hard to give an accurate estimate for a gas station, because there are so many obstacles on the lot. Restaraunt's on the other hand can be pretty easy, provided you have a couple of areas to pile the snow. You just have to figure out a fair amount to make every hour, and then judge how long you think it's going to take you to do the lot.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I was asked to bid one,but im not sure i want this one.to much traffic,I'd use a lot of salt-guy doing it now uses none-its sheet of ice when it snows and the temp drops.They want cheap-so i think ill skip it.If they would pay fair market value-and i had room in my route,I would take them.
  4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

The other thing with gas station is the covers for the underground tanks. Hitting those unexpectedly could REALLY ruin your day, not to mention sparks can be pretty dangerous in the area.

5. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Try Plowing the gas station for gas. Someone mentioned it here a few months ago. It seems like a good idea, you can in the half hour it will take you to clear the lot iliminate your fuel cost.
  6. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

We're doing about 25 gas stations. They're not that difficult once you mark where the fill caps are located. We backdrag over the fill caps so we don't peel them up. And, urethane edges take care of pushing problems with fill caps too.
  7. lawnboyil

lawnboyil Junior Member

like John said make sure you know where the fill caps are. and also that you make nice with the store managers if you are going to plow for a gas station normally you have a group of station talk with teh store mangers after you get the cntract so you can avoid an minor little problem that might arise, during the season. And keep it.

that is just my two cents

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i plow two and they really do not take much work the awnings really cut down on accumulation and all the traffic during the day keep them melted good during the day time storms
  9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

my dad owns two mobil stations and i do the plowing for him. they really arent that bad to plow. they are tough to do in storm panics with all the traffic, but the only obstacles that you should know the where abouts of is the tank fills. you have to go less than 5 mph or youll feel them alright. you dont need to worry about sparks either. theres a whole other cap in the tank fills, so thats not a problem. i dont know how to price them though, because i do it as a favor.
  10. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Like most threads that ask questions about how to charge, this one comes back to the issue of knowing how long it will take and how much you want to realize per hour. There is no way that any of us can tell another how much to charge for a given lot. Even if we saw pictures, or viewed it in person, all we could offer would be insight into how long we think it would take. And even that varies between operators, sometines by a huge factor. About the best we could offer would be hints of what to watch out for, like the fill caps.
  11. Black Ice Guru

Black Ice Guru Junior Member

i have 1 on my route only because the guy is not cheap.i charge from 2-4in 50 and then 20 for salt per push.a close friend of mine gets 50 for plowing and 50 for salting per push.now these are medium size.the reason i try to stay away from them is the amount of cars that come in and out of the station these people have one thing on their mind thats give me my gas! oh yeah i only go up a 5 bucks every 2in on this lot .
  12. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

We use to plow 5 Hess gas stations.They were open 24 hours and wanted to be plowed every 2-3 inches.They would pay us $125.per visit.
    The problem was the traffic.Sometimes it took as long as an hour to plow a location.Normally it should take 15 or 20 minutes.They finally found someone who would work cheaper and out we went.
  13. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Hey, that's another advantage to U-edges! No sparks! I can't wait to get one. I want the 2" thick one, will it fit my 9'2" Boss V ?
  14. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Sno Throwers,
    Yes,I believe a 2" thick u blade will fit your V.We have 1 1/2" thick on our Boss V. Love it.Getting ready to order one for our 10'V and our 16' loader plow.