1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Stations

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JRSlawn, Sep 9, 2004.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

I have the chance to bid on the local citgo gas stations there is about 60 of them. I dont want to plow them all but how much should I charge to plow and slat them. They all have the overhangs over the pumps but still may get some accumulation by the pump. How much?

Jeff Smith
    JRS Lawn & Landscape

2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

First, check to make sure that have plenty of insurance, not that you need additional, but gas stations can tend to be a very busy place when the weather is bad. You will get plenty of accumulation under the overhangs to plow. As far as pricing goes everybody has a different system. You need to decide how much money you need to make to cover expenses and clear a profit. Therefore you have to decide how many of these stations you can plow & how long each one of them will take. If they are open 24 hours then you probably can't plow as many of them as you want, this is because during a storm each station on your route will have to have multiple trips. This is good, less travel time & more work. Trust me in my area gas stations & banks are the most lucrative locations to have. :waving:
    BOAST

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Jeff
    I had three gas stations last year and will not bid them this year. They all want you to do it for next to nothing. There are people in your way all the time. Also watch out for the gas tank lids,man it stops you in a hurry. If I ever do gas stations again it will be billed at a high price,just a pain in the butt. They do not want to salt cost to much they claim. Well how much is its going to cost when you get sued for a slip and fall?.

Good Luck Mike

4. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

I have been plowing gas stations for years and have never had a problem with cars in and out,i have hit a cover before and yes it will wake you up in a hurry.Stations have always been done before they open and drive thru if salt is needed.I have been payed very well for doing them and will continue...

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

impossible to telll you how to bid but like has been said. WATCH OUT FOR THE PUMP COVERS! Make sure you are the one that always plows it or have em put cones on the covers or something. And make sure you know were they are. You can damage em and they are big money to fix from what i hear(duno, knock on wood havent torn one up) I also imagin it would suck having to dig part of the cover outa a snow bank.

6. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I did a few gas stations in the past. They was a pain in the ass, lots of cars packed down snow, didn't want to pay for salt, lots of bumps where pavement go to concrete. Didn't want to pay to keep them plowed during storm. I did then 2 storms and told them to get some one else.

7. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

we own several gas station only problem are the fills when you plow over them its pretty violent .also plow a wawa conv store with 10 islands under cover
    that does 800,000 gals a month we use a snow blower to do the fills
    an actually all that traffic help breakup the snow.
    we presalt, plow as needed then come back after the storm for final clean up
    which includes shoveling all islands
    john

8. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

I learned the hard way. the rule is take the work and then create the system to do it.. sub it if you have to. but take it. comercial work is gold..but make sure they will pay! price it based on the cost plus. 60 sites! get it...do not price it to give it away. calculate a cost of doing the work. add your worth then multiply it by two...remember stop and shop pays $9 at the deli. you are worth at least $20per hour. so cost(every stupid little detail and expense) plus $20 per hour..plus an alowance for slow payment.

plow it and they will pay!