1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas stations

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by qualitycut, Dec 2, 2010.

1. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Anyone have any helpful tips on how to not pull up the smaller caps on the ground tanks when going over them? The only time I plowed it this year was when the ground wasnt frozen so I dont know if that had any effect or not. These are the smaller plastic caps. Thanks.
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Right there is why gas stations suck. If you try bumping your plow up to miss them you will leave too much snow behind. It's a no-win situation. Good luck.
  3. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Yea thats what I figured, this lot is subbed to me I had to dig through the snow to find it last time.You think they would make them so the sink down a 1/4 inch or so. Metal ones are fine but the little plastic ones come loose.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

keep a spare one in the truck
  5. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

How about a rubber cutting edge? I subbed out 17 gas stations last year and the guy mounted rubber cutting edges on two of his plows. Everything worked out great.
  6. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

We run poly edges. They will flex over the caps and clean a heck of lot better than rubber
  7. BlackBirdWS.6

BlackBirdWS.6 Member

how large is the area with the caps? around here they are small, so when it snows why not just plow the whole lot then hit that section with a snow shovel? It'd prob take 10 min tops.
  8. ForestEdgeSnow

ForestEdgeSnow Senior Member

I have given cones to the gas stations and when it snows I asked the manager if the attended can put the cones over the cover one gas station loved the idea and the other one did not like it. To each his/hers own.
  9. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Just make sure you get paid from those gas station people.....
  10. Division

Division Member

Cones are great until they dont do it. Gas stations are the worse. Put some shoes on your plow and set them 1/4 to 3/8 up