1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gas station

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sno king, Feb 27, 2007.

1. sno king

sno king Junior Member

I plow a hess gas station and i have a problem, one end there is a fence dividing a yard so i cant stack snow there and towards the street there is a place for about 4 pushes without making the pile to high for people to see oncoming traffic, there is a large portion of grass and i was thinking about pushing the snow back over the curb, bad idea? I would have to go onto the grass to push back and leave enough room and this is where i am having a problem, do u think id make a mess?

X-LOWBALLER Senior Member
    from Toronto

Nope. You wouldn't or should I say shouldn't have a problem until it warms a bit. Then, if there is an issue with the grass, sell them YOUR services for the summer. Forgot to mention, just raise the blade a touch when entering said grassy knoll.
  3. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Don't do it without permission!!!!! Write a letter to them stating there's no place to put snow and request permission to stack snow in the lawn. Without permission you are 100% liable.

I bet: If you stack snow in the grass, A) Grass is bound to get ripped up, and B) All the salt and sand - salt especially, is going to melt with the snow and kill that grass BAD!!! depending on how much snow you pile. And you're going to have a hell of a time bringing that PH back to normal.

Lawn Medic?

In my contract it says that in extreme snowfall we may have to bring in a loader to move snowbanks or push them back. This is an extra charge.

As for lowballers idea- i'd be pissed if you ruined my lawn by stacking snow there without permission. I'd be even more pissed if you tried to get me to PAY for it to be fixed...... Then i'd sue you. Pretty sheisty idea if you ask me......
  4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

The best possible advice is

DO NOT PLOW GAS STATIONS...........................EVER
  5. sno king

sno king Junior Member

So i called them and the store manager told me to shovel the snow inhto my truck, i told him to go f***
  6. sno king

sno king Junior Member

And hes sending me a bill for a broken inspection hatch for the tanks and that there was 500 in damage i cant belive how this acount turned into a such a pain
  7. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

i think paphillips is expressing, what pretty much seems to be the common opinion around here. Gas stations suck.
    Do you have a contract? I dunno if i'd pay 500 for that hatch your talking about. Isn't that the hatch that just sits on the ground? F paying for that.

from Toronto

As for my idea. I don't recall the poster mentioning salt. If that is the case, yes, it is a bad idea. I don't ask where to put the snow especially if there is no where else to put it. I have stacked in front of fire hydrants, telephone booths etc. If there is nowhere else to put it, and they dont want to pay for the removal, that s where it will end up. Gas stations do suck. If you do get em, they want you there 24/7 and cars could care less about the blue light. I have 2 right now but they pay well and NEVER and I mean NEVER complain. I used to have 11 and each year, they were replaced with fewer headache accounts.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I do one gas station full time, and another one whenever the owner is out of town on vacation.

I've never had a problem with either, they always pay with cash on the spot. The only accounts that are 'able' to do that.

I don't see why it being a gas station makes it a bad account, it would be like no other account, it's all with the manager / owner.

What difference does it make if it's open 24 / 7?? At 2-3 am, there'll be minimal cars in the lot.

During the day, it's no different than any other commercial account with cars moving the whole time you're trying to plow.

As far as piling snow, I push it wherever I can get the job done the fastest. If a customer has a problem with it, they can either pay me to have it put somewhere else, or wait until it melts or the following year, then I will not push it there again.

You only have so many places to push snow, and the owner / manager realize it.

If they're giving you a hard time about it, it doesn't matter if it's a gas station, strip mall, house, restaurant, whatever, just look for another account to replace it as soon as you can.
  10. DJC

DJC Senior Member

How could it be $500. We have two accounts and if they got broke it would be $70. i have never broke one yet, plus I always have to push snow up on the grass in places.
  11. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

We stack snow on lawns all the time and never had a problem with killing the grass.And we salt after every push too.

from Toronto

Likewise. We salt senior citizens homes for free (the driveways). No problem to date with salt issues. I for one would never sprinkle any on bare grass but heck, when you got a drift over 4 feet high, its open season.

I prefer to push snow onto the grass. It gives me that warm fuzzy feeling to see grass. I know spring is around the corner when I see grass and when I plow, I cannot smoke grass but just seeing it eases the need for it too :jester:
  13. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

If he broke the lid and the surround pipe, it may be that much. When I worked at a gas station, we would place orange traffic cone on the fill lids every snow for the contractor. They were raised for water runnoff and it was a high volume station.
  14. sno king

sno king Junior Member

im not paying for the hatch, i got a call asking me to come back, i brought them a new contract for twice as much because i didnot want the account, but they signed it and i got an appology so im happy but snow is gogin on the grass, not in the back of my truck
  15. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

the best advice on here!
  16. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I just figured that since it was a gas station , all the cars would bring the salt in off the roadways. In my youth when i worked for such an establishment, it seems that there was more salt in the station than on the road, just from all the cars bringing it in.
  17. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

salt + heavy snow + grass = disaster waiting to happen. Either the grass will die from the heavly salt content, or the pressure of the heavy compacted snow will crush the grass and not promote it to grow in the spring. Best advice, just stay away from gas stations, they all suck, they all complain, and they all try to blame damage from idiot drivers on you.