1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Station Job Pro/Con

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by snowdevil, Jan 24, 2005.

1. snowdevil

snowdevil Junior Member

My corner Gas Station wants a bid, standard Shell Station Four Islands Building/ open 24/7-snow relocation would have to come into play at some point, with half the winter gone is a per storm bid the way to go? :dizzy:

2. Mark F

Mark F Senior Member

By the hour, cause sometimes traffic gets bad and it takes forever to do them.

3. somm

somm Senior Member

When you hit their input valve caps, these cast-iron medallions pop up into the air about 20' high and can land with bad consequences upon other vehicles, incl. your own. Hold them responsible for 24/7 marker placement with the 3-foot high reflective orange cones around all their input valves, during any storm.

We bid them per inch around here: 2-3" so much, 4-5" so much, 6-8" so much, and so much for each additional inch, if they're all in a 5 mile radius of our shop. Although we don't have any customers more than 10 miles away, I could see hourly if there was alot driving time.

4. wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter Member

By the hour

I'd have to say by the hour if you really need the work.If you have enough routes i'd pass on the gas station.Their nothing but a pain in the butt!Cars comming and going all day long that have no problem parking right in front of you on a push or they will be right behind you when you go to back up.
    You really need to watch out for stuff when backing up.1 min no one is around,then your running into someone the next.
    I'd pass on the job.

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Snowdevil
    All I can say is never again will I do a gas station. Way to much traffic, stuff to hit and the beloved gas tank lids. Man it hurts to catch one of them. Never ever again will I bid a gas station.

Good Luck Mike

6. snowdevil

snowdevil Junior Member

Pass on Gas

Yes it seems like it is a hard nut- Thanks for the input :drinkup:

7. The Boss1975

The Boss1975 Junior Member

I would say pass

I just helped a buddy out the other day and he does this citgo gas station and it was AWFUL i dont ever want to do a gas station im sorry but $100.oo an hour still is not enough for the abuse ones truck takes,and the liability end .i would deeply consider why they would be looking for a plow guy now .could be no one else wants the job?? The only lots i ever see not done are the ones that are a pain and no one wants to do them ,or the owner doesnt pay their bills!!!

8. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Going for gas stations make sure the insurance is paid...

Agree with most about the cars in and out and no concern for your vehicle. But the worst for me are the underground tank lids. Most are raised off the ground and one wack with the plow and they can break, pop loose, etc. Easier, IMHO, to get out and shovel around that small area. I would take your standard fee, weather seasons, per push, whatever, and add in the PITA and/or I know I'm breaking something fee...

9. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

If you know where the fill lids are you shouldn't have to worry. You either hand shovel the lids, or you maybe able to back drag over the lids. The gas station I do on my route, I back drag over the lids and plan the rest of the pushing around the lids.

10. zippoz

zippoz Member

i have 8 or 9 gas stations i can never remember... HAHA anyways they can be a pain in the ass when plowing during rush hour, but there are advantages. they are open 24 hours so you can get paid when you finish the job every time if you play your cards right, which is a major plus when working with some of these assholes.

but many stations that i work for actually have their fill caps recessed into the ground. and some have angled lids designed so the plow slips right over them. out of the stations that i do i only have to worry aobut 3 of them with tank lids exposed.

being my first year and all i would prefer not to have dealt with them but, work is work