1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gas ss or electric poly

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Plowking, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Plowking

Plowking Junior Member

I have been using an 8 ft v box gas for years. I like the way it worked. Its time to replace it and i am considering a saltdogg shpe2250. If anyone has any advice as to why i should or shouldn't switch it would b greatly appreciated. Pros,cons?
  2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Elec. spreaders have come a long way in the last few yrs(performance & price wise). Less maintenance, cost of operation, and quieter over gas units...just some of the things I think of first.

JMO, but I believe gas spreaders will be a thing of the past eventually. Elec (& Hyd.) units are what we'll see in the future.
  3. Plowking

Plowking Junior Member

Any input on the saltdogg 2250? Just dont want to make a bad move.
  4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Dont have any personal experience with Buyers spreaders...we run Snow Ex spreaders and are very happy with them.
  5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I have the 1500 model.All in all it's OK,slightly underpowered,but all the electrics are except Downeaster,but that's a conveyor type,not an auger drive.Make sure you get the good white faced controller,not that Chinese POS that throws codes that even Buyers doesn't know what they are.:eek:
  6. Plowking

Plowking Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I think the 2250 is supposed to b the improved model with more power and bigger auger. I like the fact they r sealed. Im a bit of a fanatic about keeping. My truck clean
  7. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

i have a saltdogg shpe2000 and love it. no complaints. spreads well, plenty of power. you can heap the salt and it won't miss a beat. lightweight so if you need to load it in a truck quickly.
  8. juspayme

juspayme Senior Member

9. Plowking

Plowking Junior Member

Have u used a gas v box?
  10. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i have the Snow Ex, Tornado , Downeaster and Smith electrics. I would rate snowex last because it is slow to unload IMO. The downeaster is poly with a stainless chute, the smith is all stainless. they are both very nice. The controller for the smith is a little more invloved to wire (unless they have a new version). The Tornado is nice to ,all poly. The last 3 mentioned all use conveyor chains. I have heard Downeaster is not good @ customer service. Smith has been very good as well as Western. I seem to remember the Smith was priced fairly reasonable last time i checked, Gas is a thing of the past.
  11. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

go electric

I went from gas v boxes to 2 , 2000 salt doggs and I am Very happy. You nead to use good clean salt, I had problems a couple of years ago, I got a load of crappy salt mix, dirty salt and I had problems getting it to go down into the auger, at first I thought I was nuts but I went and got a load of good clean bulk SALT and of course my salt dogg ran great, that was an issue, just use GOOD salt. The controllers are tempermental, when you turn the spinner on it runs full blast for a secound then there is a delay then it runs fine, so I just leave the spinner running and use the auger controls to start and stop when I am at a job, just think ahead as you come to a lot or driveway and tun the spinner on a couple of secounds before you get there, I just turn it to 1 or 2 on the settings just so it is running, if you just use the auger controls to make the salt come out the there is no delay, like I said I leave the spinner running, I love the fact that I can spread salt on a driveway using using the spinner at say setting #4 or 5 and it spreads the salt at 8' to 10' and at the same time you can use the auger controller to rate how much you are spreading, then when you get to a wide section or like the garages you turn the spinner up to 9 and it throws it 20' to 30' wide, I never have to get out of my truck and adjust the spinner plates for drives or parking lots or have to open or close the chain driven chute to adjust the flow like I did when I had a warren gas spreader. I am spoiled, I love my electric salt dogg's. I can not imagane how much money I have saved in gas, not to mention the engine noise, even though the vibrators are loud its still nothing compared to the noise of an engine..OH ya and at 2 am I do not have to fight with a gas engine that wont run cause of moisture or something else. And you can rate how much salt you are putting down, per say at wide open it takes 10 min to spread 2 tons of salt, so just do the math and you can figure out 1/4 ton or 1/2 ton or ton spreadage, the spreaders are very consistant that way. Wow I just relized I have had these salt doggs for 4 years now and still running GREAT. GAS vs ELECTRIC :) ha ha!!
  12. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

We switched to electric last season also. Although only ran gas for one season prior.
    I would not go back. We have a saltdogg 2000 and a replacemet tailgate snowex. Both are great for the price the saltdogs are nice. The delay someone mentioned is annoying but you get used to it.
    Not having to deal with gas and noise is a huge plus.
  13. Plowking

Plowking Junior Member

Thanks alot to all u guys. I was really torn between the two types. Im gonna look at the western tornado. I've looked at the saltdog 2000 and am considering a 2250. More power and bigger 5.25" auger. No one in western pa has one to look at though. Contracts started coming back today. Thanks again for all ur help.
  14. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

My salt dogg's have plenty of power and the unload time is pretty good because you dont want to waste salt vs a gas spreader you can open the gate and turn it on full blast and in 5 min unload but how fast do you have to drive to spread the proper amount and not waste it ? and how safe is speeding on snow and ice, I see guys doing this all the time and it blows me away, the waste and the enviroment putting down to much salt, as they say make it look like a beach. I have saved $ on gas and using good clean salt you do not have to spread as much you save the enviroment the client $ and you. I dont know if I am explaining it rite but ALL my clients are much happier with these doggs, its funny because most of them commented on this after the first season going electric, much better spreading not hardly any burns in like the grass cause of to much salt and this was during the worst winters on record. Lets see they are lighter, no gas Huh easy game. good luck.